Loki x Reader || Summoning a Goddess

———

"Hmm... well..." I stalled deliberately, skillfully avoiding the gaze of the Order of Heroes' commander, the red-headed merchant Anna. "About the lack of Orbs, um..." My words dissolved into a fit of nervous laughter that felt loud even in my ears.

Anna flips through the papers on her clipboard, casting me a disapproving look. "Can you explain why our funds are so low this month, Summoner?" She asks, her ruby eyes unwavering as she stares me down better than any enemy interrogator. "And why, pray tell, do we only have a couple dozen Orbs left in our reserves?"

"So, there was this new Hero batch released. You know what I mean, right? I couldn't help myself. Besides — more warriors will benefit the Order, yeah?" I tried and failed to persuade the cold-hearted treasurer, my case being just as unconvincing as ever.

"More mouths to feed." She grunted. Usually, the secret seller was full of pep and raw, untamed enthusiasm, but when it came to money, or the lack thereof, she was all deadly glares and foul moods.

In a futile attempt to lighten the atmosphere, I continued, "But I'm sure of it, I'll land a Loki any day now. And the event is going to end soon!" I pleaded.

"Right. You said that last time, but even a fool should realize that summoning a god is pure fantasy. Your allowance rate is now only five Orbs a month unless you enjoy seeing the hundreds of soldiers here starve and become poorly equipped because of your pointless delusions." Anna raised an eyebrow at me, and I promptly quit begging and groveling.

Regardless, five Orbs was better than none, was it not?

"Understood, Commander Anna..." I grumbled reluctantly, taking my share of the pearly currency and hightailing it out of there. The handful of Orbs wasn't much, but I had a growing premonition that this time was the charm — I'd finally get the first five-star Hero in what feels like forever.

With my relic of a legendary summoning weapon, the one and only Breidablik, in hand, I made it to the summoning station, already paying the price for exactly one singular summons. Fingers crossed, I selected the color of the unit type I wanted, the exact hue of a pale silver, knowing Loki's staff was of that type.

In a large burst of smoke, the magic did its work, and out stepped a Hero from amid the light fog. For a moment, all I could make out was a tall yet near unhealthily slim figure. Then, once the newly arrived person emerged from the mist, my eyes widened.

Standing before me was one of our long-term enemies, the manipulative trickster, the knowledgeable shapeshifter, the god of a great number of pawns... Loki herself.

For longer than I'd like to admit, I was frozen there like a deer in headlights, stunned speechless. Then, Loki flicked her lengthy magenta waves of hair behind her shoulder and her heart-shaped lips twisted into a small, almost innocent smile. "My, my. Won't this be fun, little Summoner?"

I snapped out of my shock to dip my head in a slight nod. While I surely had my hopes, this was much farther than I had anticipated. Sure, I'd wished to get Loki, but I most certainly thought I'd get something far less superior like a literal goddess.

"You're from a different world, yes?" I asked tentatively. "So... since we are currently at war with you, or at least the Loki we have here..." I scrambled to find the words to voice my internal panic and failed miserably.

"Even I will admit I'm mildly surprised at this, but to be perfectly plain with you, my dear, I think it'll be fun." She winked at me. "I hope you're one to enjoy being flustered, because this is only the beginning. But for now, I am yours to use as you see fit." When she mock bows at me, I realize she's only teasing, and I can't stop the heat from rising in my cheeks, turning them into an embarrassingly bright scarlet shade.