Alcryst x Reader || Cuddles and Comfort

———

Sometimes, all you want is a hug. Maybe nothing really happened that day to bring about your downcast mood, but all you need is a little gesture of comfort to bring you back up — whether it was a peck on the cheek or a longing stare from a significant other...

In truth, today was like any other. Wandering the Somniel, purchasing and stocking up on items, polishing weapons, and a meal or two at the cafe. I'm one of Alcryst's retainers, so I made sure to repair a couple of his extra bows while he fought with the Divine Dragon.

I wasn't big on fighting, killing, murder. The whole prospect of cutting one's life short frightens me more than I'd like to admit. Honestly, I wasn't sure how Alcryst did it. Not that I don't have full faith in the Brodian prince, but he had low self-esteem and was constantly apologizing for every misstep — even if it wasn't his fault.

Alcryst also wasn't fond of the war, and that's what I first noticed about him when I was appointed one of his attendants. When we first spoke, he tripped over his words and stammered like it was the end of the world.

When the Divine Dragon appeared in Brodia's region, Alear — after a great many devastating events — convinced the two sons of Brodia's ruler, King Morion, to join him on his quest.

I, as the younger Brodian prince's escort, came along too. Now, the royals, along with princes and princesses from other countries, fight for a common cause. Since I detested battle, I was often left behind at the Divine One's fortress on holy grounds. Not that I minded how lucky I was to even stand here on sacred land, but I frequently get lonely.

However, I never once mentioned it.

It wasn't long before I saw less and less of Alcryst since he was always on important expeditions with the warriors Alear had collected.

His sudden absence in my life was irritating at first, but that initial agitation faded quickly into a strange kind of grief.

That grief plagued me day in and day out. When at last Alcryst returned on one of the longer adventures, the sight of his face filled me with an inexplicable and indescribable joy that made my eyes light up and a gasp leave my lips.

His deep scarlet eyes betrayed exhaustion. His midnight navy blue hair was cut unevenly but suited him perfectly. His ruffled and princely attire was the shade of crimson. The cloth matched his unique eye color. Even in the late afternoon sun, no, especially in the late afternoon sun, I couldn't take my eyes off him.

The moment he stepped back into the Somniel, my legs grew a mind of their own, following the directions of my only heart's desire, and racing up to Alrycts with zero hesitation. I exclaimed the only words that came to mind as I leaped into his arms. "I missed you!"

Alcryst stiffened at my touch, audibly sucking in a startled breath. "U-um... (Y/N)?"

I don't respond, but continue to embrace Alcryst, even though he was frozen with shock and didn't return the gesture. Thinking back on it, I suppose that was rather hasty of me, but I clung to him like I was a lost cause – the rest of the Divine Dragon's traveling party staring at me, dumbfounded.

"Alcryst..." I trailed off, unsure of what to say. Eventually, I step back with darting eyes and trembling lips.

Failing to meet Alcryst's gaze, I let my head hang low, cheeks a shade of bright red that signaled my immense embarrassment.

Just as I was going to make my escape, Alcryst spoke up. "I-I'm not sure if you'd actually want to, um... but, would you like to spend time with me? I, uh, know I've been gone a lot... um... sorry, that was a weird thing to say! N-never mind-"