Linhardt x Reader || Homework and I Love You

———

The days at the academy sometimes felt so slow. They were drawn by — the pleasant and soft lull of chatter under the chapel, the variety of lovely meals shared with fellow peers, and the professors who were the best we couldn't ask for.

Since the luxury of lazing around like the noble heirs we were was so intimate at all times, it's understandable how students like Linhardt developed such a laid-back attitude when it came to anything but the hobbies that filled our unfortunately idle days.

All I asked for was a brief tutor lesson. One study session. Nothing more, nothing less. What did I get? Well, anyone who was acquainted with Linhardt knew what happened when even a sliver of time was demanded from him. And to imagine that we had been close friends for years.

He was already fast asleep right where he sat on the seat across from me in the library. It wasn't a particularly comfortable position, in my mind, at least, but there he was, snoozing away the day when we had my homework due tomorrow and the classes he skipped to make up.

Don't get me wrong, Linhardy was a talented student who was born to research. But when he stayed up far too late into the night and even morning hours indulging in Creatology discoveries he had yet to uncover... His habit of napping evolved.

At first, I merely poked and prodded his shoulder in a half-hearted attempt to snap him out of his sudden, albeit expected, sumbery. No reaction, alas that was also to be expected from him. Soon, it escalated from me trying my hardest to use an inside voice due to our locket being the monastery library.

Without permission from Tomas, the current librarian, I shouted just loud enough to conserve my dwindling pride but enough to gain some volume, "WAKE UP, WAKE UP, WAKE UP!" And my plan was set into action.

"Urgh..." Linhardt lazily opens one eye at me, his navy blue gaze glazed with sleep. "What is it now?"

"I love you!"

He blinked, both eyes now wide with surprise, likely certain he had misunderstood the confession that I had long debated saving for this moment. "...Wait... What?"

"Good! You're awake!" I grinned proudly, then plopped a pile of papers on the wooden table top in front of him. The confession was a distraction, although I Won't deny that I didn't have zero attraction to the deep jade-haired male. "Now, the professor needs this set of notes on swordsmanship turned in, and these chores in the stables completed, also you have detention from sleeping in class, and this is the homework I need help with from earlier from today, and..." I trailed off when I noticed his baffled stare.

"...How long have I been asleep...?" He mumbles, straightening his back and letting out a soft yawn.

"Oh. You slept through only one class, thankfully, but the professor wasn't happy about your behavior, since it's clearly an ongoing pattern in your day-to-day school life, resulting in you having extra assignments!" I explained to him hastily, my speech quickening to get the message across. We didn't have the dime to dawdle.

"But..." I gave him a waiting, patiently expecting, look and he gulped. "But... I'm sleepy and it's still not nap time...?"

"No worries! I'll help you!" I gave him a double thumbs up, flashed a fleeting smile, and then didn't hesitate to grab my own work as well, flipping open the required textbooks and resources.

He blinks, looking too tired to believe a word out of my mouth. "...Really? You will?" Linhatdt's tone was incredulous, and I didn't blame him. But while he could sometimes be a pain, I knew Ingrid had it many, many times worse with her own childhood friend.

"Of course! When have I steered you wrong?" I could tell I was losing his attention already, and for a moment, I doubted myself, but then I steeled my confidence and barreled forward, no regrets allowed. "And I love you after all!"

"Ah... Riiight..." He looks so utterly confused for a moment, then seems to shrug it off and accept that he is sleepy. "...Can we... do things... after nap time... please...?

"No, that would defeat the purpose I'm trying to keep you awake by saying weird things! Like..." I trailed off, trying to think fast. "I heard pigs can fly! Did you know that?" I knew this one was bound to get at least a little laugh out of him.

Rightfully mystified, Linhardt raises an eyebrow. "...Why are you trying to keep me... awake...? And pigs can't fly. And it's not just because I'm aspiring to be a Crest researcher. I'm not an idiot, you know."

"Fine, fine. But look, you're not sleeping because you answered me! It's a start if it's nothing else!" I giggled nervously and sweatdropped big time.

"...But why do you want me to be awake?" He asked slowly.

That struck me for a moment. I knew the answer I'd been pushing myself with, we needed this work done. But then it hit me that there was a bit more to the answer, so I decided to follow my gut, although I was dubious of his response, and went with the underlying truth to my motives in keeping my childhood friend awake.

"So you can complete the assignments the professor gave you so you don't fail the class so you aren't kicked out of Garreg Mach so I don't lose you!" I rambled on, and I knew it. My cheeks began to heat up after admitting that under his unwavering, steady stare as it bored into me while I gushed on about the worst-case scenario in this situation.

For a second, his tired expression faded and he looked concerned for me. "Wait... What...? 'Lose me'? What in the world are you talking about now?"

"Yeah! If you're forced to leave, I might not see you much anymore! And we've been friends like forever so..." I tried to play it off, although I knew he heard the ring of truth in my somewhat reckless words.

Sleepiness still unfortunately intact, Linhardt sighs but looks touched at what I had said. Even he couldn't deny that the professor wasn't looking for slackers as students. Any of them any day would love to enforce some discipline.

"I... I couldn't imagine... not... seeing you..." His gaze slides away from me as he mumbles it, and it seems my plan has worked just as it should.

"Lovely. So... you'll do it?" I asked hopefully, my hands clasped in front of me.

Linhardt yawns one last time, but then the charmingly educated and motivated gleam in his eye appears, much to my relief and delight, and he begins to sift through the haphazardly wobbly stack of books and assignments I had given him.

"Alright. Let's work." He agrees, making me smile. But before I could start explaining the instructions about the upcoming summative point project, he cuts in, now looking me square in the eye. "Oh, and (Y/N)? I love you too."

———

Author's Note:

Hello! I am officially back from vacation and ready to write! This wasn't a request from anyone like it normally is, because I just felt like writing a bit for Linhardt, pre-time skip, especially since I just started a new route!

I have chosen the Black Eagles far too many times already, so I'm redoing the Blue Lions route! That leads to today's question: Should I S Support Felix, Ashe, or Yuri? Any and all feedback is appreciated! Opinions, past experiences, whatever.

Thank you so much for reading, as always, and sorry that this was on the shorter end compared to the usual.

See you later,
Lillian

Word count: 1305 words

———