Hilda x Reader || More Than a Trophy

———

"And this... is the Golden Deer house, made up of those originating in the Leister Alliance. Byleth is the teacher here as of this school term." Hanneman gestured through the door and into the classroom, which was identical to the other two, and I took a quick glance at the cluster of students who were merrily chatting a studying together.

Nodding slightly, I turned away from the space and back to the aging professor. "I see. They're very lively, especially in comparison to the others."

Due to the elderly man, whose graying hair was increasingly hard to look at, was retiring next year, they had brought in me as a replacement, and since I wasn't familiar with the grounds and class systems, I had been given a tour in order to decide which class I wanted to work part-time as a trial round before I officially joined Garreg Mach's staff.

Hanneman offered me a sage smile, asking, "Have you decided which house you would like to volunteer at for the remainder of the semester? There is no rush, of course, but it is pivotal that you make your choice as soon as you can and you can begin your training as a new professor." What he didn't say was how weary he was of my young age, seeing as I was just about the same years old as the majority of the young adults attending here at the monastery's prestigious academy.

I glanced back over to the Golden Deer students. The number of faces I didn't recognize was dizzying, so it didn't matter much to me if it was this house or the next, but this group in particular seemed to have an extra dose of pep.

"Uh, I think I'll go with this house if you don't mind," I answered with an indifferent shrug, already surveying the faces that I'd soon attract to names, most of which would belong to famous nobles in the area.

He grimaced, although it was clear he tried to make his reaction subtle. "Ah, I see. Are you quite sure? I was their professor last year... and they are quite the handful, to say the very least."

A small smile spread across my face. "Don't worry too much about it, I enjoy a bit of excitement. So, yeah, I'm sure. Besides, I can always change for next year when I am teaching full-time." I assured him with a soft chuckle.

"Alright, shall we go in? We can introduce you to the class and their professor, as I mentioned, Byelth." He nods reluctantly, much to my amusement. For a brief moment, I wondered if this old guy really did want to get the heck out of here already, and whether or not he was actually here for the kids or just the access to knowledge.

Once we stepped into the room, heads turned to look us over curiously.

"Ah, Hanneman. Who is this?" A tall woman with choppy navy-colored hair stepped away from her desk, so I assumed she was the teacher. For some reason or another, her sharp, unwavering eyes were boring holes into me, sizing me up. Although she didn't seem to have any murderous intent, even I squirmed under her steady gaze.

"Professor, this is (Y/N), the student teacher who requested to work under you. (Y/N) will mainly be observing your lectures and lesson plans, and it won't require much of you." The Crest scholar explained quickly, seemingly used to Byleth's stoic demeanor.

With a curt nod, Byleth faced the class, jabbed a finger at me, stated my name, and then retreated her her desk to bury her nose into piles of papers. The students flocked to me, eagerly peppering me with questions of all sorts, from favorite foods to weapons of choice to my preference for romantic partners.

By the end of the day, I had more than one student sending me winks from across the classroom. My only thought when returning to my assigned dorm room was that this class was going to be a whirlwind of eccentric characters and abnormally uncomfortable conversations. There were a few that stood out to me, but as I had yet to learn everyone's names, I hadn't a clue how to address some of them without seeming rude.