Lara x Summoner! Reader || Realizations Under the Moonlight

———

Dancing had been my hobby for years, ever since my parents put me in numerous extracurricular activities, from tap dancing clubs to traditional ballroom dancing lessons to even ballet classes and everything in between. I even had a handful of friends who shared my interest. When I was sucked into a different world with a kingdom called Askr and was forced into the pivotal role of their legendary Summoner from the storybooks, I hadn't gotten much time between wars and wars to practice.

Often more than not, back in my home world, I turned to pouring my energy into dancing over anything else back in my own world. But here in this unfamiliar universe of all-powerful gods, rising heroes, and devastating brushes of death, it was anything but.

After our most recent conflict was resolved, I finally felt like I had a precious moment of breathing room, regardless of how fleeting it would likely turn out to be. I quickly resolved to use the time to refresh my memory on some of my favorites. To do so, I'd have to sneak away from the Order of Heroes' headquarters for just a little bit.

Leaving wasn't too hard once I was sure Prince Alfonse and Princess Sharena were occupied and I'd bribed Commander Anna to let me go free. In addition to that, it was late in the evening, so many of the heroes were already fast asleep.

With my path clear, I escaped outside the stone walls and immediately let out a relieved breath to find a clearing very close to the castle where I could think in peace. It was large enough to host a small ball between a handful of couples if wished for, but I relished the space for myself. Along with the walls of trees as my audience and the moon overhead as my spotlight, I let out a curt breath and prepared my first moves.

I had no real plan, or specific dance, or anything of the sort. I freestyled, simply going with whatever felt right while weaving moves with a soccer ball I had on hand in the mix.

"Step forward... Spin..." A grin was slowly making itself across my face as the time carried on and I really got into the patterns and movements I had greatly missed.

When I was in the middle of a more complicated series of steps and turns, a voice calling my name interrupted my deliberate thought process. "(Y/N)?"

My shoe catches on a rock that I had failed to notice before and I begin to teeter. Just as the ground rushed up to meet me, a petite girl with long, long brown hair came into sight. The next thing I knew, my face was shoved into a patch of moss.

Sluggishly, I sit up and try my best to dust the dirt off my treasured, bright white Summoner's coat.

"I-I'm so, so sorry, (Y/N)!" The girl whose voice tripped me up prior ran to my side, worry and guilt shimmering in her warm brown eyes. "I didn't mean to interrupt you, I promise! I just thought I'd tell you that your dancing was positively stunning."

She extends a hand, offering me a bright smile. "Ah, thanks. Lara, right?" I asked, accepting her hand. She pulled me up with surprising strength.

"Right! You just summoned me earlier this week, so I may have gotten a bit lost out here." She admits sheepishly, still beaming earnestly. "But you truly have an outstanding dancing style, (Y/N)! You must tell me where you learned it!"

Her genuine enthusiasm was too contagious, and I found myself grinning right back at her. "With the soccer ball? Some of my friends back home and I always played it at the beach. I've been into dancing for years though. I'm assuming you also dance?" Her attire was light-weight and made entirely of shimmering, eye-catching colors, something that many other dancers I'd summoned frequently preferred.

"Yes, um, I was a dancer in a traveling entertainment troupe until recently." Lara's smile froze a bit, and the light in her eyes seemed to falter for a split second as a flash of emotion passed over her face. "They, uh... They treated me horribly..."