Chapter 5

Nathan leads us out of the forest like he's walked this area a thousand times before.

The whole way, Aileen peppers him with questions. "How did you get your level so high? How does it feel to go through the third job advancement? What's your favorite skill to use?"

I barely get a word in. But it's not like I have anything to offer the conversation. After all, it's my first day playing this game. I know almost nothing about Starlia, other than the fact that this world is as real as it gets and there's a massive slime that can only be defeated by players like Nathan.

Just before we reach the plains, I notice the emblem of M that hovers above Nathan's icon. "What does the M stand for?" I ask.

"It stands for my guild, Mysteriously." He seems to think for a second, and as we reenter the plains with normal slimes, he turns toward me with a smile. "It was nice meeting you two. Tell you what, because I like you guys I'll let you try out for my guild. There's only twenty-five spots, so you'll both have to earn your place."

"Oh my gosh!" Aileen squeals. "I've always wanted to try out for a guild. I thought I was too low-leveled... but this is amazing."

Too low-leveled? Then what does that make me?

Nathan entertains her excitement by clasping his hands together. "Meet me at the city square in an hour. We'll have you two try out there."

Nathan summons his ride, a griffin with dark feathers, having a sheen of midnight blue just like its owner's hair. Nathan hops on, and soon he's flying, almost touching the clouds while soaring in the direction of Star Town. He must be a superstar in this game. All the newbies admire him as he passes by, pointing and shouting in awe.

I ride back to town with Aileen on Simba. "This is the most phenomenal opportunity," Aileen says. "We're so lucky to try out for a guild. Only advanced players usually are good enough to get in one."

"What does it take to make a guild?" I ask, as we transition from the plains of slimes into the cobblestone of Star Town.

"About a million in gold," Aileen says.

I almost fall off Simba. "A million? How long does it even take to get so much gold?"

Aileen lets out a low whistle. "I don't know. I only have about twenty thousand after all my days of playing."

Aileen puts Simba away, and we enter into the hustle and bustle of the beginner town. The sun sinks languidly, an hour or two away from setting, and the sky—a deep blue mixed with purple—entrances me. The bars are filled to the brim, and the scent of roasted meats and beer overwhelm my senses.

"You can eat and drink here?" I ask Aileen.

Aileen nods. "It doesn't actually fill you up in any way, but you can still taste and feel. The sensations are just like the real world."

"That's insane," I say, lost in the admiration of the lively Star Town. It feels like everyone from around the world has gathered for one big celebration of humanity. People of all different nationalities communicate together, and I hear multiple languages spoken as I pass through the buildings.

"Let's go to the weaponry," Aileen says. "We need to get you a proper weapon."

Aileen leads me to the weapon stall, which carries a huge selection of weapons under a tent. The shelves, labeled by classes, stand in order by level requirement. Aileen and I head immediately to the minstrel section.

"You need a weapon if you're trying out for a guild," Aileen says. "You've been summoning your harp, but it's easier to just play from one of these."

She points to the plethora of harps on the shelves. Everything from golden ones to those inlaid with platinum and silver. The harps come in multiple sizes, the bigger ones more suited to advanced players. Even so, most of them are small in size to accommodate for easier traveling. Each one looks like it'll cost quite a fortune.

"Here's a beginner one," Aileen says, grabbing a wooden harp on the top shelf. "It's a thousand in gold. I got you."

I chase her as she makes her way to the vendor, an NPC dressed in a tunic with a graying beard and bald head. "Hey, are you sure? That's your precious money."

"And you're my precious best friend." Aileen smiles. "I'm just happy that you're finally playing with me."

Aileen exchanges her gold for the weapon, and soon my hands are no longer empty. I have my first real weapon with me, and I'm ready to tackle the challenge of entering a guild. No matter how sorely unprepared I might be.

Aileen and I buy lemonades, sitting on a bench near the city square to drink and wait for Nathan to show up. Like Aileen said, drinking in the game offers the same sensations as in real life, although I don't particularly feel my stomach being filled. It sure is nice to eat and drink without worrying about sugar overload.

Nathan walks by, attracting the stares of everyone in the square. I can see why people would stop to notice him. His mage's robes are made from spun silk, decorated with glittering crystals on the hems and collar. He's joined by a girl in a rogue outfit, sleek crimson pants and a matching blouse.

"Hey you guys," Nathan says, spotting us immediately. "This is Olivia Park. You two will be dueling her. If you can land a hit, then you two are accepted into the guild."

I almost drop my lemonade. "Duel?"

"That's right," Nathan says, patting his staff against his side—fashioned from silver with a large crystal jutting from the top. "Olivia's second in command of the guild Mysteriously."

Aileen practically shakes beside me. "Great. Who will go first?"

"You two can face her together," Nathan says. "I'll give you five minutes to land a single hit."

Olivia Park gives us a casual bow. "Good to meet you two," she says—serious and curt. "Good luck in the challenge."

The crowd gathers around us, like they know what's about to happen. Maybe this is a recurring event, Nathan gathering players here to challenge his second-in-command. Maybe Aileen and I are about to be creamed.

Aileen readies herself, standing in the center with the crowd gathered around. I join her side less confidently, holding my harp like a serious noob. I can't believe I'm doing this on the first day of playing. The crowd begins to cheer, most of them yelling Nathan and Olivia's names. Could we really have stumbled upon the game's royalty?

Nathan's voice rises above, a force of confidence. "Ready, set, begin!"

Do you think Josiah and Aileen have what it takes to win the duel?

I had my best times in gaming while within in a guild. I remember playing Legend of Edda which had massive "wars," and I'd work together with my guild to win. Those were great times!