Chapter 25

I arrive in Oceano, a port-town on the edge of the Gloria continent. The smell of salt burns my nostrils, and the sun arcs midway in the sky, bearing down on my shoulders. Players dock their ships in the distance, making an interesting jagged horizon. Airships, used for traveling to the other continents, also catch my attention. The buildings here hover halfway between the advancements of Kap City and the old of Star Town. There are vendors selling fishing equipment and seafood, a multitude of taverns and bars. I guess even in a virtual world, people can find any excuse to eat and drink.

According to Nathan, Oceano's the last main city in Gloria. We're getting closer to following the other Mysteriously crews to other lands. It feels like we barely explored all the maps in Gloria, but I'm sure we'll return to them one day. For now, we have to stick to our plan in gathering the most weathering fragments out of any other guild.

And Oceano was calling our name. Because today, three weathering fragments are up for grabs.

"It's called the Push Off," Cody says. "It's a famous game played almost every day in Oceano."

Cody continues to describe the game. "Around fifty players are gathered together on top of a raft in the ocean. No abilities are allowed. People only have their weapons and basic attacks to use. Which basically means a bunch of swinging with your harp or knife or whatever you have. The goal is to stay on the raft as long as possible. The last man standing is showered with rewards. And today... that reward is what we're needing."

Three weathering fragments are being offered to the winner, Cody means. The game is sponsored by a member of another top guild, Rugrats. Since each person has to pay an entrance fee, the guild's basically exchanging fragments for a chance to strike it rich. Mysteriously can't relate. We'll pay whatever price necessary for the fragments.

Nathan was a bit distant when me and Aileen first logged on, but he's warmed up to his usual self. "We'll have a good chance. If all six of us enter, one of us is bound to win."

"Not guaranteed," Olivia says. At the perfect timing too, because as we round a corner of a crab restaurant and hop onto the dock, all of our competition becomes visible.

There has to be at least a hundred players crowded on the dock. All classes and age ranges showed up, betting on a chance to win those fragments. It'll be a tough fight. Already, players are walking a plank that leads out to the raft. The raft floats about the size of half a football field. It's big, but with so many competitors people will be falling into the ocean left and right.

I gulp. "I think I'll be knocked off in an instant."

"With that attitude you will," Mags says. She slaps me against the back. "The goal is to have the same mindset of a rock."

Cody rolls his eyes. "Worst advice I've heard in a while."

Olivia's voice rings quiet but sharp. "Like you have any better advice."

Nathan presses his hands in a calm-down motion. "We need to work together. Let's figure out some type of strategy as we wait."

We all throw out ideas, everything from forming a huddle to spreading out to different spots of the raft. Everyone has a different opinion. Cody's dead set on spreading out, while Mags wants to stick together. In the end, we settle with a game of rock-paper-scissors. Cody wins the game, earning a groan from the archer.

"We'll spread out," Nathan confirms. "Everyone... do your best to stay afloat."

Soon, it's our turn to pay the toll to the NPC. A sailor with an uneven beard, an eyepatch, and a humongous sailor hat greets our crew with a heavy pirate accent. "Five thousand gold per individual," he says. "No discounts."