Chapter 18

Nathan doesn't relent. "Or! We can do it the most effective way. Let's enter the monster party event."

Cody looks like he's constipated. Olivia closes her eyes and rests a palm against her forehead. Mags gasps.

Aileen looks like she's seen a ghost. "The monster party event? But I'm only level thirty-seven."

"And I'm only level twenty," I say. I have no idea what they're talking about, and why the reaction from the other members is so strong. I can only assume that entering the monster party event must take some serious skill.

"And the four of us captains are higher level than the usual participants," Nathan says. "We'll balance each other out."

"Does Josiah even know what the monster party event is?" Cody just won't give up.

"He'll know soon enough," Nathan says, winking at me. My ears flush. "Basically, the monster party event happens in a natural, random arena that we can find through going through any portal. It happens every Sunday morning. Usually, the group size for entrants is six. Perfect for us. Basically, the event happens as hundreds of mobs of the same type rampage toward the participants. The group that slays the most monsters gains a huge reward—tons of experience and gold. Even if you don't win, you still get to keep all the experience from the monsters you've slain."

I imagine being overcome by a thousand slimes. Or worse, hogs or witches. "I... do you think I'm ready?"

Nathan's nothing but encouraging as he places a hand on my shoulder. "You defeated the hog king all by yourself. I have no doubt that you're ready for a monster party."

"So... this Sunday?" Olivia exudes nothing but business.

Cody's silent. He's fuming, I can tell. His ears bloom red and he brushes through his hair angrily.

"Yup." Mags answers for her leader. "Until then, let's help Aileen and Josiah gain some levels. We'll need to be as strong as possible to win the event."

The room erupts into lively discussion. Everyone's planning on which bosses to defeat first. For a few minutes, I just watch and admire the way the pros in the game are passionate about playing Starlia. I haven't seen anything like it. This tops every high school club in terms of life and vigor. These people aren't here to play around, despite playing a video game.

The groups start to funnel out of the room. Some of the guys clap Nathan against his back, and the others send winks and cheers his way. He's obviously very loved. He's kind of my hero. I thank Aileen for leading us to the slime king's lair, God for bringing him there.

"I have some family things to deal with," Olivia says, quietly, when the room is empty except our team. "I'll log on tomorrow." She disappears without further ado, pixelating and then leaving empty space in her wake.

"I vote to go with Aileen," Mags says. "Girl power."

"I'm following along," says Cody—he probably wants nothing to do with me.

Nathan raises a brow in amusement. "That leaves me with Josiah. Jokes on you guys, I'm with the real MVP of the guild."

Cody rolls his eyes. Aileen gives me a short hug, and I'm thankful for the physical comfort even though it's my brain being tricked that my friend is pressed against me. I'll probably never get used to the realness of the VRS. No wonder people spend the majority of the day online. With games like Starlia, the horror of the real world can be put on the sidelines.

Once Nathan and I are alone, he turns toward me with a hesitant smile. "Can we talk?"

I nod even though nervousness steals my breath. Could I have done something wrong? Am I just a hopeless minstrel who doesn't deserve his time, and he's going to break the news to me in private?