Chapter 7

I log off, my heart still racing from the battle with Olivia.

"It's getting pretty late," Nathan had said shortly after the duel. "You two can go ahead and log off. Tomorrow, I can show you to the guild house. It's quite the luxurious place."

That was after he invited us to the guild, after I accepted and a beautiful M began to hover above my interface. The same thing happened to Aileen, and I've never seen her more happy. She was practically buzzing with joy.

It's already dark out. As the VRS system fades away, I always get a rush of vertigo as my body registers the real world again. After a few hours in the world of Starlia, everything seems a bit dull. The colors are less vibrant, and there's an emptiness to my room that I didn't notice before. I guess that's just a product of living in a broken world. Outside, a rush of smog hides the view of the moon and stars. Despite it being evening, heat fills my mom. Seattle, still a city of rain, keeps the humidity for the entire day.

"Are you ready for dinner?" My mother calls from outside.

"Coming!" I yell back.

Our home is small and simple. Ever since my father died from a wicked hurricane, we've turned to minimalism. It's been ten years since the accident, but I still miss him every day. I remember his warm smile, the way he'd immediately bring comfort to me with his presence. He gave me stability. Without him, the world feels a bit more chaotic.

The microwaves warms our dinner, a frozen meal once again. Most food comes frozen these days, and you'll be hard pressed to find fresh fruits and vegetables. I take a bite of mushy chicken with rice and gravy. I look around, finding white walls decorated with the occasional painting—mostly floral scenes or landscapes. It feels so much more plain than the world of Starlia. I immediately want to head back. Now, Aileen's obsession seems normal.

"Were you playing a game?" My mother asks, always all-knowing.

I nod, trying to keep my food down. Despite being used to frozen food, it still upsets my stomach. "I was playing this game called Starlia."

"Oh!" My mother's brows raise. I admire her sharp chin and high cheekbones, both of which I wish I inherited. I got her dark hair and caramel brown eyes. "I played that game a few times. It's a good one."

It's my turn to be surprised. This is the downside of having parents who also grew up with the VRS. "Are you serious? I can't believe you've played before me."

She laughs, a bright sound that always lightens the stress of the day. "Your mother isn't ancient. See? I know things that all the hip youngsters are crazy about."

I notice the bags under her eyes, which weren't there before my father passed. A combination of stress and aging. She spends the majority of her day in her virtual office, processing loans. It's hard work, especially when everyone seems to be poor these days. My heart hurts for her. I need to find a job, but the majority of places aren't taking new employees. All I can do is hope someone will take me after I get my high school diploma.

"How was work?" I ask.

She sighs. "Same old thing. People not meeting the requirements and complaining about it mostly."

The TV blares from the living room. The male announcer, who I always hear but always forget his name, speaks with a solemn tone. "More flooding is battering the city. Ten more families were forced to flee their homes today. Around the U.S., coastlines are slowly moving inwards. Scientists are thinking by next year, at least a hundred thousand households will be displaced. And around the world...."

I tune him out, not wanting to hear anymore. My mother's expression stays normal, like she's heard the same news a thousand times before. I guess it's expected. She grew up in a chaotic time, when Seattle shrank to three-fourth of its original size. She knows that humanity will be doomed soon enough, and all we can do is hope the wrath of mother nature will be held back for another few years.