Chapter 12

I look at their interfaces. There are five people in the group, and they each have a D hovering above their names. They're all above level fifty, and with their straight backs and unforgiving expressions, it looks like they own the building.

"You look clueless," another one says, a guy with electric blue hair styled into a quiff. "We're from Dragoon. Your rival guild."

This is too much animosity for one week. I rest my back against the booth, trying to ignore them. I turn my attention to the glass, overlooking the hill toward a grassy oasis. I remind myself that bullies won't last long if I show them that they've no effect on me. I just have to pretend. This will be over soon enough.

"Hey," the guy continues. "You must have a hearing problem. I said that I'm from your rival guild."

I sip my soda. When I look back, I still receive all five stares from the members of Dragoon.

I imagine that Aileen's here with me. She always gives me the confidence to speak out. "I'm from Mysteriously. But give me a break, it's only my third day playing."

"How did a minstrel like you even get into a top guild?" This time, it's a girl who sneers at me. She has violet hair and striking blue eyes. She looks around my age.

I decide to go the over-confident route. Maybe that will scare them away. "I guess I proved myself pretty quickly. I beat Olivia Park in a duel."

The blue-haired guy lets out a bark of laughter. "Don't tell me that a newb like you beat the Olivia."

Woah, these guys respect Olivia at least. I can use that to my advantage. "Yup. I landed a strike on her. That was the deal for entering the guild."

"Nathan has gone nuts," says a different member—a freckled boy with red hair. "I can't believe he's letting in new players who probably don't know the difference between a mage and a priest."

My cheeks must go red. But I can't give up now. I'm tired of being thrown around and disrespected. "I do know the difference. And Nathan told me himself that he values me being a minstrel in his guild."

The last to speak are a set of twins, a brother and sister with the same sharp jaw and pronounced cheekbones. "Yup. He's gone nuts," says the boy.

The girl sniffles. "This boy Josiah thinks he's going to take over the world. How delusional."

The door to the tavern swings open. Olivia Park stands there with a solemn expression. She glances once at the Dragoon table. Then she glances at me, probably sensing my frustration. "Is something going on here?" she asks.

Miraculously, the Dragoon table ignores her and turns back to their beers and potatoes. I give her a thankful smile. She comes my way, sitting on the opposite side of the booth. When the NPC approaches her, she orders a soda too.

She's beautiful, carrying a grace with her while her tight rogue outfit shows off her defined muscles. I can't believe I landed a hit on her. Well, I did cheat a bit by throwing my harp at her. She gives me a tight smile. I know that it takes effort from her.

"Sorry," she says. "When you join a guild like ours, you're definitely bound to make some immediate opponents."

She speaks quietly, reminding me of Aileen when I first met her. "Thank you for saving me. It looks like you're quite respected in Starlia."

Olivia tilts her head. "Not really. I guess I just look intimidating."

I appreciate her dry humor. "You are probably the best rogue I've seen yet."

She shakes her head, shrugging her shoulders. "You haven't even traveled to the other continents yet. There are plenty of rogues in the same caliber."

"But still," I say. "You're the second-in-command for Mysteriously. That has to count for something."