Chapter 24

Aileen enters rubbing sweat across her forehead. She takes a deep breath once indoors, greeting the barista with an energetic wave.

"Did you take the bus?" I ask.

She shrugs while taking a seat next to me. "My family had to sell our car."

My best friend's situation saddens me. "Really?"

She steals my cup and takes a sip of my Americano. "It's fine. We just need all the funds possible if we're going to move to a new place. We're hunting for apartments right now."

I wish I could help. I think to the day where we found our first weathering fragment. If Mysteriously truly does come out on top with hunting them, we'll be awarded with money and prizes. That would definitely help Aileen. Not to mention, if a revolutionary weathering machine does exist, that would save Aileen's home from being destroyed. Of course, this seems like a far off dream. But Mars Nakamura was a genius. If anyone could've figured out a solution to our crazy hemisphere, it's him. I make a silent promise to myself to go all in when hunting these fragments. My best friend deserves a better life.

Nathan enters with an award-winning smile. I can't stop from staring at him for a few seconds. He looks like he's stepped out a photoshoot with Vogue, from his designer black jeans to his bomber jacket.

"Aw." He saunters over to our table. "I wanted to buy you a drink, Josiah. Aileen, what would you like?"

Aileen orders an iced Americano as well, and Nathan comes back holding two drinks—one of which is a cookies and cream frappe for him. He takes a sip and moans, causing me to pause and blush. I almost spit out my drink.

"Thanks for treating, guild leader," Aileen says, taking a sip.

Nathan shows a palm. "I'm just Nathan out here. But no problem."

He smiles. I smile back. Aileen starts to look shy. Maybe she's struck by our guild leader's handsomeness just like I am. Well... I committed to finding out more about him. I might as well start now.

"Why did you come all this way?" I ask. "Is it so important that you meet your guild members in person?"

His brows draw together. "I feel like I really need to meet every member. After all, my guild is my family. I want to know each one of you and try to be a genuine friend."

It's a textbook answer. A part of me isn't satisfied. Come to think of it, there's never been a time when Nathan said a wrong answer. He's always drifted to the side of politically correct. He's not exactly boring, just too perfect at times. My suspicions rise even more. Should I just ask him what he saw in me and Aileen?

"How is the weathering fragment situation going?" Aileen asks. "We found the twelfth piece. How many more are out there?"

Nathan alights with the same passion he shows whenever he talks about Starlia. "So far, twenty pieces have been found. Mysteriously found five of them. Dragoon has found three. The rest of the fragments belong to random players and guilds."

I guess I have to delay my burning questions. "Do you think Mysteriously has a good chance of coming out on top?" I ask.

"As long as we keep on the same pace," Nathan dances his fingers across the condensation of his glass. "We should find the most fragments out of any other guild. Three of our teams are already in the more dangerous continents. Our team is sticking to Gloria, and that's because you and Aileen are probably most comfortable there."

Again, a famous guild is bending to the preferences of two new players. It's kind of insane. He could've invited two players above level seventy. That would surely give them an advantage in finding the fragments.