Chapter 6

Aileen rushes forward immediately. She raises her sword above her head, a picture of total poise. She brings it down, yelling "Cut!" as the blade falls.

Olivia evades the attack like it's second nature. She leaps to one side and allows the sword to ricochet off the cobblestone below. Aileen breathes in through her teeth. It feels like time is slowing down.

I've never been the best under pressure. Now, with a whole audience expecting what I'll do next, I freeze. My harp feels heavy and foreign in my hands. It's probably obvious that it's my first day playing, and the level 3 floating above my head—the best indicator of that.

Aileen doesn't let up. She charges at Olivia, brandishing her sword like she's used it for years. But she's sorely outmatched. Olivia, light on her feet, avoids the attacks as easily as she breathes. She doesn't even break a sweat, and her face stays cool and collected. She uses a dagger to deflect one swipe. Even with not too much force, she deflects Aileen's sword. My friend veers off to one side, almost crashing into the bystanders.

I have to act, or else I'll be the embarrassment of the game world, known for freezing instead of fighting. Taking a deep breath, I wonder if my next action will work. Well, here goes nothing. "Play," I say, running my fingers across my harp's strings.

Olivia brandishes a knife. She throws it my way, and it implants into my playing hand. I scream, even though the blade causes me more discomfort than actual pain. Red seeps out from my palm. And I'm shocked at the realness of the blood. Eventually, the blade falls from my body and the wound heals. But I'm reeling. I've never been so afraid for my life in a video game.

Aileen yells "Bonecrush" and sweeps her sword at the feet of Olivia. But Olivia whispers "Rush" and manages a supernatural jump. She stays suspended in the air for more than a few seconds. Although the ground crumbles underneath, not even the debris touches her.

I cringe. This is looking bad. Even with four more minutes to spare, Aileen and I don't seem to have a chance. Olivia is just too good. Even so, I can't just give up now. People all around the world have gathered here to watch. Through the VRS, we're all connected at this moment. And it'll be tragic to let my best friend down at this point.

"Sing" I say, opening my mouth to voice a few descending notes on a major scale.

"Evade," Olivia immediately says. Her body shifts and I see double of her. Then she returns to her normal form. She remains strong and unaffected. It looks like my skill didn't do anything.

Olivia. Rogue. Health: 100/100

Yup. Still at full health. I invigorated Aileen, however, her body slightly glowing from my song. She moves a bit easier now, almost as if she's carried by invisible wings. I'm running out of options here. But I decide that I should use my other supporting ability. "Dance," I say. Then, to my royal embarrassment, I have to bust out a few moves—swaying my hips from side to side and pumping my fist like I'm at the club.

The onlookers point and laugh. I guess minstrels really are the joke of the game. My cheeks turn red from blushing, and I'm painfully aware of Nathan looking at me. His mouth upturns in a cheeky grin. I can't believe I'm doing this.

But to my reward, Aileen's body glows with a glittering sheen. Like stepping into the sun. She flashes me a thumbs up. "Thanks, bud!"

I try to smile back. I think I probably look constipated after having to coordinate a makeshift performance. But Aileen moves quicker, and her actions seem to come easier to her now. She holds her sword like it's nothing more than a feather.

Here goes nothing. My next ability did nothing to the king slime, but here it might just work with enough coordination. "Trap." I set down a spiderweb near my feet.

Aileen meets my eyes, and she nods slightly. My heart rushes with anticipation. This is what it's like to have a best friend. Communicating without having to speak is a skill we've both perfected after having to sit through loads of virtual classes together.

Aileen begins to move in a zigzag pattern toward the trap. At first, Olivia doesn't follow. But Aileen begins to taunt, "You're scared of me, aren't you?"

I witness a whole new side to my best friend. Even though I teased her at first for spending so much time on Starlia, I can tell that it's done wonders for her confidence.

Olivia follows, raising her dagger. She probably noticed me setting the trap, but right now she doesn't seem to care. Aileen strikes out again, with a "Sweep" that points toward her enemy's knees. Olivia jumps again.

This time, Aileen readies herself. She throws her sword to the side, launching herself at her opponent. She grabs Olivia's waist. Olivia screams, trying to wiggle her way out. Aileen pivots, using all her strength to throw Olivia in the direction of my trap.

"Flash," Olivia says, right before falling prey to my spiderweb. She blinks out of existence, coming back to life a few feet away from my trap.

I'm not sure whether Aileen's grab counted as a strike, and Nathan didn't call off the game yet. So just as Olivia lands on her feet, with her back facing me, I channel all my recklessness. Just do it, I tell myself. I step forward like a batter prepping for a home run. But instead of swinging, I throw my entire harp.

Olivia, expecting a strike from Aileen, doesn't notice my flying weapon.

It ricochets right off her back. "Oof!" She falls against the ground, and the strings of my harp break apart. Snap! So much for Aileen's a thousand gold. But hopefully the sacrifice pays off.

The crowd goes silent. Then, they begin to cheer my and Aileen's names. They jump up, raising their fists. A boy even falls to his knees and lets out a barbaric yell.

"I can't believe they did it!" says someone.

"Epic... I would've never seen that coming," says another.

And a third, "I'm so damn jealous of those two."

Olivia dusts off her knees, rising with her cheeks tinged pink. She mopes and shifts back to her leader's side.

Nathan beams. "Oh my goodness, you two. Call me a pessimist, but I never thought you'd win against my captain."

Aileen, slightly sweating from the exertion, gives a radiant smile. "Nathan, you shouldn't have underestimated us."

Nathan shakes his head. "I shouldn't have, right?" He looks toward me as he says his next words, and I couldn't be more proud. "Welcome you two. To my guild, Mysteriously."

So Josiah and Aileen have joined the guild! Any guesses on what will happen next?

Lately, I've been trying to find the perfect mobile game. Do you have any recommendations? I love RPGs and gachas, and recently Animal Crossing type games have been catching my eye.