Chapter 16

We're met with a bunch of executives in business suits and ties. They stand upon our arrival. Some of them are smiling warmly, while others have a more serious aura. No matter, they all look like insanely important people. A long table stretches out, fitting no less than twenty. A television screen hangs on the far wall, and the other sides—floor-to-ceiling glass which overlooks the cloudy city of LA.

"Welcome." A middle-aged man at the head of the table says, "I'm Samuel Nakamura, and I'm the CEO of Starlia."

Nathan gives a polite nod. "We're the head members of Mysteriously."

Samuel smiles. "I know. I'm quite the fan of you all. I heard you were the first guild to defeat the Leviathan. Quite impressive."

Even though I have no idea what he's talking about, I try to put on my most warm demeanor. I can't look like a newb in front of all these people. A part of me curses myself for not listening to Aileen earlier to download the game when it first came out. But then again, if I listened, the order of events might not have led me to Nathan's guild. My joining happened with perfect timing.

"Please, sit down." Samuel gestures to a line of open seats.

I take my seat in between Mags and Olivia. I feel sorely outmatched next to these pros, but maybe in real life levels don't matter. But who knows? These young ladies could outshine me in real life too.

"We're honored that you'd invite us here." Nathan is all ears. I wonder if there's ever a time he doesn't radiate positive energy.

"We want to get right into it," Samuel says. "You all are probably wondering why we invited you here."

"Not for a party, I'm guessing," Mags says lightly. She earns a few nervous chuckles from the executives.

Samuel smiles, but there's something worrisome in the way he fiddles with the edge of the table. "Something a bit more exciting. And important."

In some moments in life, the world seems to pause before something is said or done that changes everything. For me, it was when my father passed away. The phone call that my mom received seemed to freeze time. That was a day that separated my life into before and after. I feel the same sensations right now. Samuel Nakamura is about to change my world.

Samuel gestures to the television screen. Powering on, the screen shifts to show the world of Starlia. Star Town materializes as the first image. It rotates to other towns that I'm not familiar with, continents that I haven't seen. Even without being immersed in virtual reality, I'm immediately overcome with wonder. Starlia is just that game that proves itself to be revolutionary.

"Here is the world of Starlia," says Samuel. "It's amazing, fun, and magical. I'm sure you all have experienced its beauty."

The screen shifts to show the real world. Earthquakes, hurricanes, scorching heat and famine. "This is the real world," he continues. "If the current state of affairs continues, humans will become extinct. I'm sure you all have watched the news lately."

The screen changes back to Starlia—lush forests, clear waterfalls, and mountains filled with wildlife that can no longer be found in the real world. "What if I told you all that Starlia is holding a secret that can save humanity?"

The room quiets. If a penny dropped onto the carpet, I'm sure I would hear it. "What?" Cody says, cutting into the tension.

Samuel Nakamura clears his throat. Suddenly, he looks several years older. The weight of the world descends on him. "The founder of the game was my older brother, Mars. He was a genius. He coded the entire game.

"He just finished coding the finishing touches when he died of a sudden heart attack. I took over then, but I truly did none of the hard work. This is his game, through and through.

"But Mars' genius didn't end with video games. He also was an accomplished researcher and meteorologist. He was working on a... machine of sorts, to change the weather. He was about to reveal it before he died, but he just went so suddenly. He didn't have time to present his project in a normal manner."

"A normal manner?" Nathan asks, leaning in as if his head could cross the length of the table.

"He meant to present his findings, which he promised to be revolutionary, while he debuted Starlia." Samuel shakes his head, suddenly despondent. "But when he died, no one could find the code for his secret project. Later on, we saw anomalies written into the code of the game. The other programmers and I have talked to great lengths about this, and we are certain that the game is the secret to unlocking my brother's machine. He was going to reveal Starlia and his invention at the same time. Because he died, he wasn't able to do so. The game is intertwined with his discoveries."

"How can you be so certain?" Olivia asks.

Samuel nods like he was expecting that question. "Look toward the screen."

On screen, an unidentified mage is attacking a boss, a witch dressed in all black. They face off within a dark forest. The mage uses a firearrow—which strikes the witch's heart in perfect aim. When she dies, she leaves behind dust, which is expected. But there's also something glowing on the ground. It's a fragment that looks like a large gem. It glows a sky blue, shining even more brightly when it is touched.

Subtitles flash on the bottom of the screen, the game's text.

You have found a weathering fragment. 1/100

"This is a weathering fragment that was found when a boss was defeated," Samuel explains. "This is an aspect of the game that is totally unexplained. But knowing my brother, it's certain that his invention is hidden through this mysterious mechanic. It's the only plausible thing I can think of."

"So you want us to... find these weathering fragments?" Cody says.

Samuel nods. "A notice will go out soon for the whole game. It'll reward everyone who finds a weathering fragment, or fragments. But we invited you all here because Mysteriously is the guild for the job. We have no doubt that you all can defeat the toughest monsters in Starlia and live to see these fragments."

"It's still a big supposition to say that a machine is hidden in this way," Olivia says.

Samuel looks tired and worn out. But his voice is firm. "The world is dying. What choice do we have?"

I can't believe Christmas is so soon! Merry Christmas everyone! How are you spending the remainder of the year?

I am excited for 2024 and diving deeper into the world of Starlia. Thank you for taking a chance on this book this year!