Chapter 31

The warrior instructor is an old Japanese man that still looks like he could win in a battle with ten bandits. He's fairly tall and decked with large muscles. His tan skin speaks as if he's spent many years running in the afternoon sun. His hair stays close to his skull, short and gray. He fingers his goatee, and with the way his head tilts upward, it's on full display. He wears a karate gi, a black belt tied around his waist. He looks just as imposing as Maria James. I guess all instructors will have that powerful air about them.

"Gin Miura," Aileen says, bowing her head slightly. "It's good to see you again."

We're in a large hut based in the desert. Rocky structures are apparent through the windows. They reach to the sky and pierce the clouds. The early morning sun shines pleasant on my skin. Inside, wooden antiques decorate the hut. Everything from elephant-shaped chairs to long tables with intense grains and gnarls on the corners. The floor—made from packed clay. The same orange and yellow tone of the desert paints the walls. It's warm almost to the point of discomfort. I taste the essence of sand in my mouth, and it smells dry like humidity is a thing of the past.

"Aileen," says Gin, lowering his head a bit. "It's good to see you again. I see you've brought a friend."

Aileen nudges me on my shoulder. "I brought him because a partner is necessary for the third job advancement. At least for warriors."

"Good thinking," Gin says. "Warriors have better memory than most other classes."

I want to roll my eyes. Aileen remembers the instructions because she remembers everything, not because she's a warrior. No matter, I clear my throat and speak up. "I'm willing to accompany Aileen in her challenge."

Gin appraises me, frowning a bit. "An inexperienced minstrel?"

I grit my teeth. It seems that even among instructors, minstrels are at the bottom of the barrel. I wouldn't be surprised if all the other instructors, besides Maria, would point at me and laugh. I try to stand my ground. I want to look strong. I don't want to be a joke even if Starlia is "only" a game.

Aileen steps in, resting one hand on my shoulder. "I chose him because I know we can succeed together."

Gin strokes his goatee, his eyes narrowed. It's like he's deciding whether I'm worthy enough. A level thirty-five minstrel with not much to his name besides basic equipment and a few thousand gold. Being judged by an NPC is a whole new experience for me. Even though Gin may be run by a computer, he comes off as completely human.

"If this is your choice for your partner," Gin starts, "then I am in no position to judge you. May I remind you of the specifics of what you need to do?"

Aileen nods. "Please." I know she's only asking for my sake. She most likely knows the ins and outs of the advancement quest. It's me who needs catching up.

Gin straightens his back. When he's standing, he's a full head taller than me. He looks like he could knock me out in one punch. I try to ignore the white tape around his knuckles and the broadsword strapped to his back. He speaks like he's rehearsed the words a thousand times. He wastes no time, getting right to the point.

"You will be teleported to one of the fields in the desert. Mob after mob will come after you. Well, they will target your friend Josiah. It's your job to defend him for a total of ten minutes. The time may seem short now, but it'll be a fight to keep your friend alive. Especially since he's a lower level than you. Josiah may assist you with his skills, but ultimately the responsibility will fall on you, Aileen, to keep him alive. Good luck."

"We understand," Aileen says without missing a beat.

Gin Miura steps forward. "I will send you to the grounds." He places his right hand on my forehead, his left on Aileen's. A warm light envelopes both of us. At the same time, a coolness runs over my skin. The same sensation as walking through a portal.

I open my eyes to the hot desert spread before me. A flat square has been cleared for us. But other than that the cliffs and mountains loom in the distance, it's empty excluding our duo. Aileen wastes no time in wielding her sword. I hold my harp in front of me, preparing for the unexpected. If we succeed today, Aileen will learn two new skills. We'll be a bit closer to becoming advanced enough to hunt the weathering fragments. We'll slowly rely less on our teammates and become realer threats. Maybe we'll even beat that team of archers in the Mountain Pass. Get our revenge and all that.

A hog flashes into view. It charges me, snout raised to the sky.

"Aileen!" I shout.

"On it!" She steps in front of me. She looks stunning in a new set of sapphire armor. She's a gemstone in the haystack—a true picture of beauty and strength.

"Throw!" Aileen uses her hands and wraps them around the mad animal. She launches the mob into the sky, and I cringe at its horrendous squeal.

The hog falls down and disappears into dust. One down. And who knows how many more to go?

"Dance." I move my limbs to an imaginary beat, raising my friend's stats in the process.

"Thanks bud." Aileen takes out her longsword from its sheath. It catches the sunlight, reflecting a blinding white in my eyes. I love seeing her like this, because she looks the best when she's confident.

The next mobs that are summoned are new to me. They are a twin of pirates, dressed in the full sailor hat and cutlass. They're burly and intimidating, looking like they've just got back from sailing all seven seas. They're kind of out of place in the desert landscape—but scary nonetheless. I squint to read the names on their interfaces.

Pirate Lackeys. Level 40.

They charge me, cutlasses raised. I refuse the instinct to scream. Instead, I set a trap in front of me. Then I sing. My voice comes out strained since I'm scared for my life, but I hope my skill works anyway.

It does. The pirates sway on their feet, like I'm a siren who calls them at their ships' decks. Their eyes droop, and their limbs relax as they slow to a stumbling walk.

Aileen rushes them. "Bonecrush." The AOE ability explodes with light at the base of the pirates' feet. The ground crumbles beneath Aileen's sword, showing the impact of her ability. The pirates fall to the ground. Their hats come loose and their scabbards fall wayside. Aileen finishes them off with a cut attack. They become dust just like the hog.

"Nice going!" I shout. But Aileen doesn't get any break. The next wave of mobs appears in the square.

It's a hoard of slimes. I'm talking maybe forty to fifty of them. They jump toward us with as much determined grit faceless monsters can have. Aileen looks back with a grimace. How are we going to deal with so many? 

Hey! Happy beginning of April! Thank you again for spending your Saturday with me

Hey! Happy beginning of April! Thank you again for spending your Saturday with me. What would your strategy be for dealing with a hoard of fifty slimes? You'll find out next week what Josiah and Aileen do!