Chapter 8

Sunday morning, I wake with a knot in my stomach. My conversation with Aileen plagues me. What can I do to help? It feels like the weight of the world is pressing against my chest. I want to be a good friend. But the wrath of the ocean seems like too big of an enemy to face.

My mother knocks against my door. "Time for church! Log on now."

I pull myself out of bed and get dressed in my church clothes—slacks and a polo t-shirt. When my father died, my mother turned immediately to her faith. We've never missed a church service in ten years. She's become strong through her faith in God. At first, I was resistant. But I decided that I can't live without having faith too. The world is too dark of a place to go alone. Everything seems a bit easier when thinking of Jesus' sacrifice and how he would speak kindness to this dark state of humanity.

I find the right server on my computer. I log on and blink a few times to get adjusted to my new surroundings, a cathedral with a modern stage and tinted windows. The ceiling vaults high, and spherical lights hang low and illuminate the various paintings of biblical scenes—Moses and the burning bush, Noah's ark, the clouds parting for the baptism of Jesus.

I wave hi to a few friends from school. Then, I sit on the pew next to my mom. She greets me with a grin that makes my world feel a bit lighter. Despite us being in opposite rooms, the same feeling of being right next to her comforts me.

Pastor Job begins his message. He picks a hot topic—the end times. He speaks about being prepared, that Jesus is coming back soon. We need to spread the gospel to as many people as possible while we still can.

It's a good message. But my thoughts lie with Aileen and her family. I can't imagine that God would allow their home to be destroyed yet again. I feel helpless. By the time we enter into a time of worship, my heart feels like it's in another place. I know I should focus, that my heart should go deeper than just singing along. But to be honest, I'm looking forward to the end of service, to the beginning of my adventure in Starlia.

After service, I wave goodbye to my church friends and change servers to Starlia.

Star Town loads up, just as vibrant as I remember. The time of day reflects the Pacific Time Zone, so it's around late morning. Liquid sunshine warms the whole town, and palm trees sway in the light breeze. There's no sign of stormy clouds, and the humidity levels are natural, like a tropical kiss against my skin. Everywhere I look, players gather into their cliques. They hold various weapons related to the six classes, dressed in their respective armor. It feels like a big block party, minus the food trucks and adding stalls selling everything from virtual snacks to clothing and accessories. The NPCs look like real humans, pacing back and forth in natural strides. I expected them to be more robotic, but I guess I'm witnessing a testament to the talent of the gamemakers.

Aileen meets me in the city square. She's changed from her blue armor into a more appropriate tent dress—like she's going on vacation. She still strapped a sword to her back, however. She looks ready to party and kill at the same time.

"You look great," I say, pointing to the frills and white and coral fabric.

She smiles, radiant compared to the crumbled soul I comforted in the grocery store. "Thank you. How was church?"

I can't lie in front of her—she'll be able to tell anyway. "Good. But I was thinking of you the whole time."

She sighs, her features drooping a bit. "It's my problem. You can't worry about me too much."

"I know." Then, desperate to move onwards, I point in the direction of a large portal—a shimmering mirror-like expanse north of the city square. "That's where Nathan told us to meet him, right? Gosh, I can't believe I'm already in a guild and I'm only level three."