Chapter 15

Members of Mysteriously,

We'd like to invite you to our headquarters in LA. You have proven yourselves as worthy, skilled and competent players of the game. We have a special mission for you. It will open to all members of Starlia in time, but we are choosing you all as first representatives. We hope you will accept our invitation. A lot is on the line.

Best,

Developer Team of Starlia

"Are you going?" I ask Aileen. We're in the virtual school halls after the last class period. The invitation I received in the early morning was all I could think about for hours.

Aileen hesitates. "I don't know. It seems kind of fishy to me."

I roll my eyes. "Seriously? They offered to pay for our flights. Plus, it's from the official game email. I checked it on their website."

"Still." Aileen leans close so no one else can hear. "It's a secret mission that they could've let us know through a message. Why do we have to go there? It sounds like they want some free marketing or something."

"It would be nice if you could go with me," I say, hopeful. She's always given me confidence when I need it the most. Meeting other members of Mysteriously without her gives me a bit of anxiety.

"I'm sorry," Aileen says, pinching her brows. "My parents would never let me go. But have fun, okay? And tell me all about it when you return."

I talk with my mother for about an hour. That's how long it takes for me to convince her that the email is legit and that I'll be doing something that will possibly make it into my college essay. With a concerned expression, she lets me go into our self-driving car. I'm off to the airport with nothing more than a backpack with my phone and a few changes of clothes.

The flight is only a few hours long. I spend most of the time daydreaming about the world of Starlia. There's so much more that I need to explore. So many towns... and whole new continents too. I dream about spending time next to Nathan's side, following him around the game world as his personal minstrel. A boy can dream.

I land at LAX. I call for a self-driving cab, entering the address of the Starlia headquarters. The whole way there, I daydream of what the developers would want from Mysteriously. Maybe a special sponsorship? A chance to test the newest developments in a beta server? The possibilities are endless.

The building reaches upward, almost past the clouds, sleek and slightly imposing. With dark tinted windows and architecture that makes it seem like the sides are bent inwards, I'm left staring for a minute or so. I'm just about to enter when a hand rests against my shoulder.

I shriek.

Mags smiles at me, her brows drawn up in amusement. "Hey to you too?"

I look over her shoulder, finding no one. "You came alone?" I ask.

"Came alone just like you," Mags says. "I'm actually from Cali. No need for me to take a flight."

"Oh." My heart is still racing from the surprise, but I end up with a smile. "It's so good to meet you in person. I was seeing you as this powerful bowman for so long. It's good to know that you're a real human."

"Good to know that you're real too," Mags says. "I was beginning to see you only as the conqueror of the hog king."

I blush, waving her compliment away. "Oh, stop."

"It's true!" she says, gesturing to our surroundings—the large tiered fountain and manicured bushes. "You totally owned that thing. You should've seen the look on Cody's face."

I shake my head. Even though it did feel amazing to show up that prick. After the battle, I was more focused on receiving compliments from Aileen and my guild leader. I barely had time to notice Cody sulking and turning around in the direction of Star Town.

Nathan and Olivia arrive in the same car. I wave enthusiastically as they come my way. Nathan lacks the midnight blue sheen in his hair, and he looks normal yet still stunning. Olivia's also a beauty out of the game world, rocking skinny jeans and a black blouse. I'm still shocked that I'm in the company of such sophisticated characters.

"Where's Cody?" Mags asks.

As if she summoned him, I hear his voice from behind. He's already near the entrance of the building, staring daggers at me. "Right here, losers."

I want to roll my eyes. Instead, I suck it up and force a smile. I don't want Nathan to see my ugly side, especially since he's shown nothing but kindness towards me. Olivia and Mags also don't deserve to see me sulk.

"This is all the company we have today," Nathan says. "The rest of the guild members couldn't make it."

"Really?" Awe ripples through me, that I'm next to the Nathan Lum in person, but it's still a shock that none of the other members could make it.

"More like I told them to stay home," Olivia says. "I thought that it'd be a waste of time and money for everyone to travel so far. Only those in charge need to be here."

I feel a bit awkward. "But I'm only an ordinary member. Why didn't you tell me to stay home?"

Olivia raises her eyebrows, the closest thing I've seen to her being amused. "Short answer? Nathan wanted to meet you."

Nathan flashes me a brilliant grin. "I wanted to meet Aileen too. But a day with Josiah doesn't sound so bad at all."

I wonder if my soul is visible as it flies out of my body and ascends to the clouds. Nathan's words just made my day. I'm here in LA, with the main crew of Mysteriously, finally living. I don't even notice the relentless sun giving my skin the burn of its life. And Cody's presence isn't bothersome when I'm basking in the glow of my guild leader.

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Nathan heads toward the entrance, revolving doors made out of polished glass.

The interior of the company's building impresses, just like the outside. Marble floors shimmer under my eyes, and live plants sit around the periphery. The lighting, warm and inviting, matches the air chilled to perfection from the central AC. Next to a pair of sleek elevators, a front desk awaits us with two female clerks.

"Members from Mysteriously?" one of them calls out. "Follow me this way."

From there, she leads us to one of the elevators, which shoots to the top of the building at warp speed. The clerk lets us know that the developers are waiting for us in a conference room. From there onward, my heart begins to palpitate. On one of the top floors, the clerk leaves us outside next to a large, oakwood door.

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Cody says, laced with impatience.

It seems that he's still bitter about being around me. Just because I defeated the hog king, he has to act sore about it? I wonder how Nathan invited such a brash person into the guild. Maybe he's one hell of a good priest.

"Let's see what this is all about," I offer.

Nathan grins and opens the door. 

What do you think the developer team has to say? You might know from the little blurb, but any specifics you want to guess about?

Josiah may feel a little bit invincible now, after defeating the hog king, but let's see how he reacts to this special invitation!