Chapter 33

To defeat the team of archers, the general consensus is that we need to get me and Aileen to a higher level. That's the only way we can stand a chance against the five archers defending the Mountain Pass and the path to the three bosses. Aileen needs to gain mastery over her two new skills, increasing in fortitude with every level gained. I need to get to third job as soon as possible.

Keeping with the prior pattern, Aileen goes off with Mags and I get Nathan. Olivia and Cody say they're comfortable with duoing some of the less powerful bosses, like the slime king and hog king. I don't have much say in the matter, even though spending more time with Nathan should be... interesting.

Nathan and I are back at Miran, the forest city. Large evergreens, cedar, oak, and pine decorate the perimeter of the town—the game uncaring about what season and climate it is. Green surrounds everything, from the lush grass under our feet to the thatching of various houses. High-leveled players walk in groups more sophisticated than those in Star Town. The crowd here seems more intense about taking Starlia seriously. As we walk past a few groups, the news of the weathering fragments echoes as the most popular topic. I hear rumors of the hundred fragments being found already, that the machine is already being built. Another group claims that the fragments are a ploy from the Starlia developers to expand the player base and make the game more popular.

The details of Miran steal my breath. Vendors carved their stalls into the bases of redwood trees, and they sell snacks, wares, and drinks. An old lady with gray space buns parades antiques for guild house rooms. Little houses are occupied by richer players who can afford such prime real estate. Nathan informs me that a place here is worth over a million gold. People decorate their front yards with floral gardens, painting their exteriors with pastel that stands out like lighthouses against the green palette. Fireflies buzz about the town, shining even through the sunlight. Paper lanterns are set on the ground and hang from the many trees' boughs. The colors are reminiscent of an ancient forest festival.

"How about we try some non-conventional ways to gain experience?" Nathan says.

I raise a brow at him. "Non-conventional? Like how?"

He points to the largest and most decorated building in the vicinity. Large, two-storied and made entirely out of wood. Glass windows reflect the surrounding oasis of nature, and inside I can see rows and rows of books and shelves. Large vines cover the exterior, making an intricate pattern of dark green against brown. The thatched roof is decorated with a large, sculpted book made from marble. It's open to the middle page and illuminated by the sunlight.

"Fighting mobs isn't the only way to gain experience in Starlia," Nathan says. "That's the Great Library over there. I'll show you how to level up in a more relaxing way."

"Through reading?" I can't hide the incredulous tone in my voice.

Nathan just gives me a mischievous smile and walks toward the library. I have no choice but to follow. Besides, what do I know about this game? I've only been playing for a few weeks now. There must be a million secrets and easter eggs I'm clueless about.

The interior of the library is shaded and cool, with multiple reading nooks, sofas, desks and chairs. Players flip through volumes of books—some thicker than my head, some pocket-sized. It smells like old knowledge, and Nathan chooses to ascend the spiraling staircase in the center of an octagon of shelves. I wave hi to the NPC librarian, an older woman with graying hair and a kind face. She wears a dark blue robe, keeping with the fantasy medieval theme of Miran. As I step into the second floor, it feels like I'm witnessing a whole new world.

The amount of bookcases here are astronomical. They stand arranged around the corners in geometric patterns, catching the sunlight which illuminates the swirling dust motes—which make the library feel old and comforting all at once. The floor is made from cedar planks, matching the color of the shelves and giving the room a rustic feel. On this level, dozens of sculpted chairs were made to resemble tree trunks. I take it all in, relaxed by the silence of the readers. There are so many of them, yet I don't hear any sounds except turning pages. Compared to the map where mobs run rampant, this is a sanctuary.