Chapter 20

Finally a shared holiday between Canada and America came up, Halloween.

It had been two weeks of dating bliss with Ari and I was ready for a party even if it meant having to wear a costume. Ari's parents were technically hosting this event. The kids would all be at Ari's but all the adults were actually going to be at the Flores' two streets over.

All the girls were gathering at Laura's house to get ready while the boys were at the Munroes/Evans. It was the first time that all of us girls had been in one place without the boys and it was weird.

Nina and Elle hated one another, Brenna probably wanted to dropkick my face but we all got ready in awkward harmony.

Laura was a naughty nurse, Nina was cat woman, and Annie was little Orphan Annie. Of course their ideas of costumes were mini-skirts, fishnets, high heels and halter tops with accessories. Laura had a nurse's hat and stethoscope, Nina had cat ears, and painted small whiskers on her face, and Annie had the wig from the movie and the red dress that fit a ten old.

Miri was a "sexy" hippy, Brenna's version of Ariel from the Little Mermaid involved green fishnets under a green and blue mini skirt and a purple bra , gross.

Elle was a zombie cheerleader; I was sure that was a dig at the at least four cheerleaders we had in the room and I loved it. I was Alice from Alice in Wonderland. I felt like it fit because I had really gone down the rabbit hole this year. It was between that and Dorthy from Wizard of Oz.

While there were no fishnet for me, I knew the bust and length of the dress would get Ari's attention. I would be sixteen in two weeks, so I deemed it appropriate. Plus I was not wearing layers of caked on makeup like the older girls so I felt pretty confident that I was still safe to get past the Dylan and James radar.

I did borrow a pair of Laura's black ankle booties. I was happy to finally have someone with the same shoe size to share shoes with. Not that she ever wanted to borrow any of my sneakers or flats. With a few final makeup and hair checks we were ready to party.

We all headed over to Ari's at dusk. The usual kept lawn was covered in elaborate decorations, including a coffin. Several of the boys were helping out in a gag that involved scaring small children by popping up out of the coffin. I could tell that Jake and Max were Zombies. I could also see Elle getting in on that action soon.

There were other teenagers here, not just the Families tonight so I had to fight to find people I knew, especially in costumes. I passed by Dylan but ran in the opposite direction, not wanting him to see me in this costume.

He was dressed as Superman. Around the corner I saw Landon with a bald-cap on. I was guessing that he was Daddy Warbucks? That would match Annie's costume.

Reece and Ryan seemed to be ninjas.

Logan was Batman which went with Nina. That was interesting considering Logan had pledged to never date a girl from the Families?

Gavin was a doctor, matching Laura.

I laughed when I saw Danny. He wore a huge afro and sandals, such a good boyfriend. Declan was the Green Lantern. I saw James and Tyler together. James was a guard and Tyler was an inmate, clever.

I made my way up to Ari's room. I knocked and he answered soon after. I smiled; he looked cute as the Mad Hatter. He smiled even brighter when he saw me, just the reaction I wanted. He invited me in and closed the door behind us.

"You look so sexy."

I blushed, "thanks." I felt his hands wrap around my waist and his lips on my neck. I took a lock of his black hair and twirled it around my finger. "Your hair is getting long."