Chapter 11

I hated to admit it, but I could get used to this.

I saw James' truck as we arrived at a little diner called Chew Chews. It had a train painted on the wall outside and seemed like the place a lot of the seniors from school liked to hang out. I instantly adored it.

The four other seniors were standing around one of the boy's trucks talking about the engine. This was starting to feel more and more like Texas by the minute; they just needed some boots. I guess no matter where I lived boys would still love their trucks. Off to the side of them, Miri and Danny were arguing and Nina, Annie, and Laura were talking in giggly hushed tones next to Landon. Landon was talking to James. So all that were missing were Declan who would be getting out of Gym by now, Ryan and Reece, and Tyler and Brenna.

How did they all get out of class too? Was this a thing?

Dylan landed his eyes on me and waved me over as we got out of Jake's Jeep. I smiled at Ari and left his side. I hadn't seen Dylan since after Algebra. Dill squeezed my shoulder as we walked up on the crowd. "Hey guys I want you to meet my cousin Alex if you haven't already." The ones whom I hadn't met looked curious. "Alex this is Annie and her twin Landon."

"They are Declan's step brother and sister?"

He smiled and squeezed my shoulder, "Exactly. And this is Nina."

"Danny's sister."

"Yep. You are doing really good at remembering all of us kids."

I blushed slightly. "Thanks."

"You re-met Max and Logan at the barbecue." They both waved a small hello.

We all headed inside to order. By the time I got my food several of the people I knew were already seated in separate clusters. Declan had arrived and was obviously hitting on Annie. Dylan and all of the seniors were sitting in a corner booth. Miri and Danny were arguing at the end of a long table. Ari, Ellie, and Aaron were sitting next to them, ignoring the heated banter. The open spots there were in between Danny and Ari or next to Miri and across from Ari. I chose the spot next to him. He squeezed my hand under the table after I sat down. I smiled and started into my burger.

I listened as Miri and Danny argue about how selfish Danny was. I decided to intervene, "You two sound like an old married couple."

Miri looked at me, "No Danny just won't admit that he is a selfish jerk and that is why we broke up."

"No, Miri will not admit that she just can't take no for an answer."

"What is the question?" They both looked perplexed. "What can she not take no for? How is he being a jerk?" They both looked back embarrassed, not knowing the answer. "See you two just like to fight. Because you're not together, you fight so you can be around one another." Both of their jaws hung open.

Someone behind me added in, "See I have been saying that for a month. She is new and could tell that in ten minutes."

I turned around and saw Tyler standing over me.

"Hi Ty." He smiled and sat down next to Miri.

"So how is your day going beautiful?"

I cocked my eyebrow trying to figure out if I had heard this kid right. "Fine and yours?"

He smiled, "Great now."

He was flirting. I knew it, everyone at the table knew it, and the little cartoon angel and devil that had to be on either side of this guys' shoulder right now knew it.

"Glad I can brighten someone's day?" Miri looked like she was going to have a coronary.

I could feel Ari stiffen next to me. I glanced out of the corner of my eye and saw his mouth was in a hard line.