Chapter 27

Dad wasn't home so the house was dark. James started turning on lights as Dylan sat down on the couch with me on his lap.

He looked over my head to James. "Find out where Munro is. He's dead meat if he hurt her."

I shook my head while sobbing. When I tried to talk I just cried harder. He held me closer to him. I heard James mumbling on his cell. After a minute he hung up. "She and Ari got into a fight. Jake said the kid took off running to cool off about five minutes after Lex left."

I heard Dylan's voice softly speak into my ear. "What happened Lexi?"

It all started pouring out.

"It's all so stupid. First Tyler wrote me a love song and got my dad to invite Elyse and Patrick here. With them leaving I started feeling super pissed because I miss them so much. I also have been ignoring Ari and hanging out with Tyler. Elle told me I could invite kids to her party. But I only know the kids from the families. I have just been feeling suffocated and realizing that I have like no friends outside of this friend group because I am a freaking loser just made me feel worse. I started to talk to Ari about it but he just zeroed in on the fact that Patrick was here and basically called us Sweet Home Alabama and I told him to fuck off and ran..."

I was sure that made zero sense to either of them but God it felt good to get it off my chest.

Dylan looked utterly confused and so did James. I was not about to repeat myself though.

Dylan looked over at James, "God you could not pay me to be a sixteen year old girl."

James laughed, "Lex, you know I think Munro is weird and probably crazy. But I know he's fuckin' crazy about you. Now why you are crying over that emo dork is beyond me."

I rolled my eyes but let the dig slide.

"Because I am an idiot."

James smiled, "No you're just doing through some shit. Hell, I am shocked it took this long for you to have a break down. You've been acting like life is just perfect for the last few months. If I was in your shoes I would be lighting shit on fire and punching walls."

That made me smile. At least he understood how I felt inside. "Yeah well, I actually like it here because of you dorks. So that helps."

Dylan rubbed my shoulders. "And what the fuck did you mean by Sweet Home Alabama? You're from Texas."

I was hoping they hadn't latched on to that part. I saw James' eyes grow into saucers.

He finally spoke, "Alex, you didn't like... fuck your brother did you?"

Dylan made a gagging noise.

I shook my head no. "Oh God you just made it sound so much nastier than what it was."

Dylan piped in, "Than what it was?! What to you mean, Lex? Alex, did Patrick and you?" He didn't finish his sentence. He just kept making gagging noises.

I kept shaking my head no. "No! We didn't." I was slow to continue but I felt like they needed a fuller picture. "Just, after our parents were divorced, when we were no longer siblings whatsoever legally, we started hanging out. We were hanging out a lot this summer and kinda... fooled around a bit."

Oh God it did sound like Sweet Home Alabama.

Now all three of us were gagging.

James shuddered, "No wonder Munro didn't like having him around. God. New ick unlocked. Fuck."

"You guys can't tell anyone." I pleaded, praying I could trust them. They hadn't given me a reason not to.

They both nodded, and Dylan said, "Taking that one to my grave. But for real though Lex, give Ari a break. He's already a socially awkward fuck. You add in that bit of information and having Patrick hanging around this week and Tyler and you partnered on this project so that he's forced to know you two are hanging out; I'd snap too."

My Life In Pieces (Book #1)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें