Chapter 34

The gym looked great. There were hearts and cupids everywhere. Streamers were hung up and balloons completed the stereotypical 'dance in a gym' look. After looking around I found several tables occupied by the families. We headed over to sit with them. Gavin pulled Laura towards the group of seniors and their dates. Miri and Danny were already out on the dance floor. Nina, Annie, and Landon were at a table with their dates. Well, Annie and Landon had dates. Nina looked like she was flying solo and not happy about it. I noticed that she was staring daggers over at Declan's table. Declan and Jensen were standing next to James, Reese and Ryan.

I headed towards them. Jensen was wearing a sparkling white mini dress and white sneakers. I was happy that someone else joined me on that trend. James smiled when he saw me walk up with Tyler. Tyler's hand rested softly on my lower back. I leaned back into him, resting my weight against his chest. We stood there talking until Jensen pulled me away to go and say hi to other people. I was nervous since I still had not become more than acquaintances with anyone on the team other than Jensen.

There were two girls standing in a corner talking. Both were slim and tan like Jensen. I wondered how they managed that in the middle of February. One girl had long auburn hair and wore a light red dress; the other had chin length black hair and wore a white dress that just barely covered her butt.

"White dress and black bob is Cassie Lancaster. She is in grade ten with us. Auburn and red dress is Darcy Blake. She's in grade nine."

Bless you.

Having a friend who knows you don't socialize helps a lot.

They both shrieked when they saw us coming over. Bothe went to hug Jensen and then surprisingly me.

Darcy smiled, "You look great Alex! I love that dress. You too Jensen."

I think I had spoken 5 words to her. How did she know my name?

Jensen and I both smiled and returned compliments.

Darcy smiled wide at Jensen, "You and Declan look so cute together."

I nodded, "Don't they?"

Cassie spoke finally, "I love your accent. Where are you from again?"

"Texas. I moved here right as school was starting."

"So you're James Harrison's cousin right?"

Jensen gave her a little playful shove. "Cass, could you be a little less obvious?" Jensen looked at me. "Cassie has had a crush on James since we were in grade eight."

"Seriously, you like my cousin?"

She blushed and nodded. "He doesn't even know I exist."

Darcy had a tight smile on her lips, "So are you and Tyler together now?"

I almost choked on my own spit. "No. We're just here as friends."

"Really? So you aren't dating?" Darcy replied.

"Nope, just friends."

Jensen rolled her eyes, "He's not into you Darcy. And he's way too old for you."

Darcy rolled her eyes back, "Hey a girl can dream. He's only like the hottest guy on campus and in a rock band. Who wouldn't want that?"

I felt a very territorial knot forming in my stomach. Cassie elbowed Darcy in the ribs, "Dude, she's still his date tonight."

"Sorry." Darcy still looked pouty.

"You're fine. We were just about to head back over there if y'all wanted to join."