Chapter 32

One day after a rather long practice I went inside and saw dad wasn't home yet. Ari hadn't shown up today so I went in and fell asleep on the couch. What felt like five minutes after my body had finally warmed up into a sleeping coma ball, my doorbell rang. I opened the door and was surprised to see Tyler.

"What's up?"

"Yeah I was just wondering if you would want to talk about the Hamlet project? The final version is due in a few weeks and we still haven't finished."

"Um sure?"

He came and sat down on my couch and started pulling out his laptop.

"So I had some ideas since Dershem said we could do a video. I wanted you to approve them before I mentioned any of it to Max or Jake. If you say it is good, they will agree. If I do, they'll say it sucks."

"That's probably true."

"So I was thinking we could do like a thirty-second clip that tells the plot of the book, like a funny skit that just summarizes the plot."

"She said it had to be five minutes what would we do with the other four minutes and thirty seconds?"

"I thought we could do a video of us analyzing the main themes, tones, metaphors, and symbols."

"That sounds good actually. That way we won't have to talk in front of the class."

"So I found some examples. Want to watch?"

"Sure." For the next half hour we watched video reviews of books. I knew Dad would be home soon so I told him we could continue later. I walked him to the door and opened it just as Ari was about to knock. My stomach dropped. He smiled when he saw me. Tyler walked out from behind me and Ari looked confused.

"Tyler was here working on our project."

His nostrils flared slightly, "Then where are Jake and Max?"

Tyler scoffed, "Dude we were doing homework. I wasn't trying to lure her into my van with candy."

"I'm not worried about you kidnapping her, I am worried about you trying to fuck her."

That felt like a slap to the face.

He looked at me then, "I have been fine with you two working at school together, doing that interview for the paper together, hanging out at the party together, but Alex come on... Hanging out at your house alone all evening. I'm only human here."

Tyler beat me to responding. "I am not trying to fuck her. Fuck, I haven't been anything but respectful to her. You can fuck off with that bullshit Monroe."

I kept my eyes on Ari, "You know me better than that. I wouldn't fuck around with some other dude. It was just homework. We watched videos about book reviews for half an hour."

Ari looked from me to Tyler and back. "I need some space. I'll see you around, Alex."

He turned and left me standing speechless on the doorstep.

I stood there in silence for a minute. I felt a warm hand on my shoulder and turned to face Tyler. He had a sympathetic look in his eye.

"Did he just break up with me?"

"If he has any brains, no. He probably just needs to cool off. Dude really needs to relax. I haven't so much as flirted with you since October. "

I rolled my eyes, "That was like three months ago."

"Exactly. Ancient history."

I laughed and let Tyler slide past me. "I am sure it will blow over."

"And if it doesn't?"