Chapter 14

Ari interrupted the silence with a surprising comment. "So I heard Tyler likes you."

"Who told you that?"

His face looked sullen. "I actually heard Brenna and him fighting about you after you left."

"What were they fighting about that could involve me?"

"She found out about him hitting on you at Chew Chew's. It was brutal. She really likes him and all he wants is out."

"I still don't see how that means he likes me."

"She asked if he was cheating on her. He said no. She said he had been looking at you funny since you came into town. He said you were just a cool girl. Tyler never says stuff like that and it means just that. She knew that too. I got to listen to her cry all night after he left."

I felt uncomfortable picturing that. "Did they break up?"

"Nope. He still hasn't gotten enough balls and she doesn't want to."

"Well I hope it all works out for them."

He looked down at me and smiled, "You are such a sweet person, you know that?"

I smiled shyly, "I just don't like people getting hurt."

"That is why I am so attracted to you."

"You're attracted to me huh? I hadn't noticed." I smiled.

He looked away for a moment and then back at me almost blushing. "Yeah. I do."

"Good."

He laughed, "So what about me?"

I played the ignorant act, "What about you?"

"Do you find me attractive?"

I acted like I was really thinking about it. "Oh I don't know, you're okay, I guess." My face instantly cracked.

He laughed and started tickling me. "Just okay?"

I couldn't breathe, "Yeah you're okay." I said through laughing and trying to get air into my lungs. He finally stopped and let me catch my breath. We talked until the school building opened. He walked me to my first class and we stood outside talking. Miri walked up with Danny.

"Hey Alex." Miri noticed the body language between Ari and me instantly. "Are we interrupting something?"

Neither of us moved and inch apart from each other, "Nope. Ari and I were just hanging out."

"Fun. So are you ready to listen to Erwin spray his way through class today?"

I laughed, "Oh my gosh he needs to learn the 'say it not spray it' rule."

"Exactly!"

It was finally time to go to class. Miri and Danny went inside and I faced Ari.

"See you at Gym?"

He hugged me. "See you Gorgeous."

I walked into the classroom and tried not to get creeped out every time Mr. Erwin spoke. I switched seats with Miri and listened to them be all love-struck. That was a lot better than the fighting. They were smart enough not to grill me about Ari yet.

After class I said hi to Dylan and the boys on the way to Science. Jake actually said hi to me before Dylan did. That made me happy for some reason. It showed me that most of Ari's family liked me.

In Gym Elle, Aaron, Ari, and I sat in a corner undisturbed by the gym coach after we did our mandatory laps around the gym. Declan was still the Mr. Socialite of the group in there, actually trying to participate. Ari had pulled me close to him when I sat down and now we sat holding hands. It just felt normal.