Chapter 26

We walked into Chew Chews and I stood in front of Dylan in line. I hadn't eaten here for lunch in weeks. Not since Tyler and Ari almost got into it again. I could hear Elle and Laura talking loudly about Laura wanting to give Elle a makeover. Elle argued that it was Laura who needed the makeover.

Dylan and James talked with the rest of the hockey players about the games coming on tonight. I stayed silent but kept my ears opened as we waited for our food in the small diner. Reece and Ryan were planning already for the Stone's Christmas Eve party. Miri and Danny were fighting as usual. Nina and Annie were talking about an upcoming shopping trip.

I finally found who I was looking for and locked eyes with Ari. I smiled shyly, testing the waters. He gave a small nod of acknowledgement.

He wasn't completely ignoring me.

That was a good sign. I had been ignoring him though and I knew it . I just didn't know why. I had this feeling in my gut that told me something was about to happen. It was like I had already set the plan in motion and now I could only sit back and watch it all unfold.

We finally got our food. I smiled at Jensen and followed her and Declan to sit at a table that already had Ari, Elle, Aaron, Laura, and Gavin. Dylan followed behind me. I looked around and noticed that Tyler and Brenna were nowhere to be seen. That let me breathe a bit. I found myself sitting across from Ari. That felt strange. What felt even stranger was the fact that I was okay not being nestled into his side.

I tried to pay attention to the conversations being had at the table so that I didn't have to make more eye contact with Ari.

Dylan looked over at Elle. "Hey your birthday is next month right?"

She nodded, "Yep, sweet sixteen."

"Can we expect a blowout?"

"I am actually planning some of the details tonight." She turned to me. "Want to come over and help?"

"Sure. Sounds fun," was my automatic response. The truth was, I wasn't sure how fun it would be over at Elle's tonight. I had a feeling Ari was waiting to get me alone. I wasn't ready for that. I was still trying to figure out what was going on in my head. This feeling had been poking at the outskirts of my brain the last few days and seemed to just be tunneling its way in whether I wanted it to or not.

Dylan kept on with the questions, "Is it going to be at Casa De Munro-Evans?"

She beamed, "No my parents are amazing and are renting out The Garage."

I smiled, "Got to love sweet sixteen."

"Yes and everyone in the group is allowed to invite five other people so there is a huge turnout."

I raised my eyebrow, "I don't think I know five other people."

She laughed. "Just pick some random kid in one of your classes and tell them the party is happening. Tell them to invite a few people."

I looked over at Jensen, the one person I had talked to besides the Family, and said, "Hey Elle is having a party. Invite four more people."

We both giggled.

Elle smirked, "See not that hard. We can talk more tonight."

I nodded and the subject changed. Jensen and Declan seemed to really be into each other. They talked politely with the group but I noticed how their eyes looked so much more engaged when they would wander off for a moment into their own conversation.

We all finished our meals and started packing up. I wasn't sure if I should ride back with Jensen and Declan or if I should go back with Ari. He seemed to read my mind as he told Elle he was going to catch a ride back with Dylan and me.