Chapter 35

Once we made it outside, I saw Elle and Arron shivering next to Tyler's truck. Elle smiled and we filed into the back seat while the boys crawled into the front.
I wasn't sure where I would be sleeping that night. I started going through my options. I could wake up my dad or Aunt Claire and probably end up grounded. I could go to Tyler's and face the awkwardness of not knowing where to sleep in the house, or I could go to Elle's. That option meant waking up in a house with Ari the next morning. That was a bag of mixed feelings.

Tyler seemed to be reading my mind. "I'm going to crash in Aaron's room so you two can crash in my room. Easier than waking up Miri to get her to let Alex in. Feel free to grab any of my sweats to sleep in Lex."

I was grateful in that moment for the fact that Tyler was my friend. We weren't on some awkward first date just getting to know each other. This still technically wasn't even an official date. I had never let it have that title anyways. For all intents and purposes though I knew it was definitely something, even without the label.

We all quietly walked in the house. Luckily, Mr. and Mrs. Mason were used to Tyler getting home late from gigs so we didn't have to face the waiting parents routine. I held Tyler's hand as he led me up the stairs in the dark to his room. He quickly grabbed his toothbrush and some sweats and then headed down the hall to Aaron's. I waited in the hall, not sure of what to do. When he was half way down the hall he turned on his heel and came back to where I was. Elle was still down the hall saying goodnight to Aaron so it was just the two of us for the first time all night.

Tyler leaned into me and pulled me close for a hug. "I hope you had fun tonight Little Harrison."

I smiled, "I did. Thank you for taking me Ty."

If this were a movie it would be the moment where the two leads shared their first kiss. I knew it. The moment had that electric charge of anticipation. I waited a beat to see if Tyler would make his move; a move he had been claiming that he'd wanted to make since I moved here. I looked into his eyes expectantly.

But it didn't happen. He just squeezed me tighter for a moment before letting me go and heading back down the hall. I stood there dumbfounded. Elle came out of Aaron's room and we headed into Tyler's to finally crash. I wanted to talk to her about what had just happened but I knew that could be weird. So I let it go and felt myself slip into a deep sleep.

It felt like seconds later before Elle was waking me up telling me it was time to wake up. I looked around the unfamiliar room. I realized that this was the first time I had been in the Mason's house. I wondered how close it was to my own. The rest of the families lived in the same neighborhood so I assumed that would be the case here.

I was also sure that I looked like a mess in Tyler's oversized T-shirt and sweatpants. We stepped out of the room and ran into the boys in the hall. Gavin and Laura were coming out of his room too. She looked surprised to see me. I just shrugged and we all walked downstairs.

Tyler's parents were already up and doing their Saturday morning chores. Miri was at the breakfast table. Her eyes grew a bit when she saw all of us walk in. Mrs. Mason was plating breakfast and looked to her sons for an explanation. Tyler was ready to give it. "Elle, Lex, and Laura all crashed in my room after the concert ran late last night. I was in Aaron's room. We didn't want to wake Miri up.

She smiled and nodded, accepting the explanation but adding, "Next time text me so I can tell the girl's parents. I'm sure they think you're all at different houses right now."

"Yes, ma'am." Came the chorus from all of us.
Everyone sat down and had breakfast. I sat in between Elle and Laura. Tyler sat at the opposite end of the table next to his mom and dad. I would have to wait to talk to him.
All the girls packed up after breakfast and asked Laura to walk with me home. I wanted to talk to her more about last night. That, and she knew the way home.