Chapter 5

Javier's Pov

After I kissed Natalia's forehead I turned off her lamplight by her bed and made my way out of her room quietly. I made my way downstairs and towards the wine cellar to grab myself a bottle before heading to bed. To my surprise the kitchen lights were on.
Cautiously, I walked further into the kitchen to see nanny Penelope. She was having a glass of water. She seemed surprised to see me as well.

Why is she still up till this time?

"You are still awake?" She asked.

"I was about heading to bed, just wanted to grab a bottle of wine to tag along." I said with a shrug.

"Will you be needing anything else Javier?" She asked.

"No, thank you." Nanny Penelope had been my nanny since childhood. Even after my parents passed away, she stepped in as a parent figure for me and she had single handedly raised me into the man I am right now. And now she's not just taking care of me but my daughter as well. At times I really don't know how I can appreciate her for her kindness and loyalty.

"The lady from earlier today, who is she?" She asked, the gleam in her eyes tell me the question must have been dancing on her tongue for a while now.

"Which lady?" I asked, not sure of what she's talking about.

"The lady who came by this afternoon, who is she?" She explained more.

I tried recalling the events of today, and then it hit me that she is referring to Daniella. I haven't really told her about Daniella or my plans of getting married to her. Perhaps it's better I say it now.

"She's my wife to be." I said, not wanting to look Penelope in the eye. I could tell from the side of my eyes she paused for a moment though.

"Your wife to be?" She asked, sounding rather shocked.

"Yes, that's only if she accepts."

"I thought you said you won't remarry after what Natalia's mother did, what changed?" She asked, sounding curious.

"Nothing changed ma, I am not marrying her for love. I am getting married for the sake of Natalia and the debt she owes." I explained, not wanting to go into details.

I don't want to give her the real reasons behind my actions. it isn't yet time.

"Debt?" Penelope asked, urging me to explain further

"I paid a loan her family owes and in exchange for the loan, she will have to spend eternity with me in replace of the loan." I explained as I made my way to the cellar.

"This is more like subduing the poor girl into marriage. Does she want to marry you? Do you even know if she's ready for marriage?" She asked as she followed me, concern written all over her wrinkly face.

"There's really nothing for you nor I to worry about Penelope. Everything will go just fine, trust me." I said reassuringly, giving her a small smile. "Goodnight." I said, making my way to my room with bottle of bourbon.

I understand what Penelope is driving at, but I don't really have a choice.

🔹🔹🔹

Daniella's Pov

It's been two days now since my last visit to Mr. Ruiz house. After that day I had gone back to see little Natalia on her request, but I didn't stay for long because I didn't want to see him. I am not hiding away from him, but I'm not ready to sign those papers yet. I have to think all this through because this is a life time commitment, plus my dad's completely clueless about it.