Chapter 21

Javier's Pov

I went over to my wine cellar and took out a bottle of my regular alcohol and a wine glass. Placing them on my desk, I poured some into my wine glass which I gulped down at once.

It's been two hours since Dr. Montes came and took the blood sample of Victoria’s baby for a DNA test. Should the result turn out to be true, what should I do? How am I going to react to this sudden news?

No. It can't be true. I know that I was drunk that night, but I'm almost certain I didn't touch Victoria. My train of thoughts was interrupted by a light knock at the door before it opened. I turned to see Daniella come in.

She carried with her a tray containing a teapot set. My guess would be coffee in there. I haven't spoken to her after last night — probably couldn't look her in the eye now. I've just locked myself up in this study of mine, trying to distract myself from thoughts of Victoria and her mysterious child. So far it's not working.

“I made you coffee.” She said, placing the tray on my desk.

“You didn't have to.”

“It's nothing. Here.” She said, handing me the cup of coffee which she poured out from the teapot.

I accepted it and her eyes smiled at me. I got lost in them for a moment. What's with the smile? Does she still feel pity for me about last night?

“Mr. Ruiz. I don't mean to pry, but what if…” she stuttered, as if trying to choose her words carefully. “What if the test comes back positive, what happens next?”

The same question I've been asking myself but can't seem to find an answer to.

“I don't know.” I said plainly, looking away from her.

“Hmm. Listen, if the baby is proven to be yours, I think you should accept her and the child. It's the right thing to do. Perhaps this is God's way of uniting the two of you. And because you still love her.” She said, I stared in surprise.

Why is she saying all that?

I know I confessed the love I still have for Victoria in my heart to her, but why is she saying all these? Why does she want me to accept Victoria and the baby? What happens to her who is married to me?

“Then what about you and our marriage?” I found myself asking.

I know this marriage wasn't under the the best circumstances, but she's still my legal wife. Why would she want me to accept my ex-wife and the baby when we are still married?

“Marriage. This marriage is only on paper. I mean… we don't even act like husband and wife. So, we could just get a divorce.” She said, like the word ‘divorce’ didn't affect her in anyway.

Is she thinking straight right now? Yes, this marriage is a sham but I can't just use her and discard her whenever I please. Whether she likes it or not, she has become a part of this family and one of the beautiful thing that has happened to Natalia.

“What happens to Natalia after our divorce? Do you think she'll accept that?” I asked, and she seemed to have been startled by my question for a moment there.

“She…” she paused. "Natalia will  understand… and she'll be happy she's getting her real mother back.” She smiled a bit.

Behind that masked smile, I could clearly see the sadness behind it. Just as Natalia is fond her, she's become fond of Natalia as well. If they both were to be separated, I don't think either of them would be able to bear it