Chapter 15

Daniella's Pov

The air conditioner is on, so why is he restless?

Should I call for help?

It's late and everyone must be sleeping by now, it won't be good to disturb them and make them worry all over again. What do I do now? His body is burning up, what can I do?

Think Daniella!

A thought popped into my head. Cold water.
I rushed into the bathroom and filled a bowl with cold water and then took a small towel along. I came out and sat on a chair close to his bedside. Setting the bowl down, I pulled the blanket away from him completely.

I dipped the towel into the cold water and squeezed out the water a bit before using it to dab his forehead lightly. My dad usually did this to my mom each time she had a fever at night, and each time, the fever went down. I hope it works on him.

🔹🔹🔹

Javier's Pov

I wake up to the sun rays hitting my face. I groan as I try to get up, I suddenly felt this shooting pain in my head. I held my forehead, but a wet short towel came off. I frowned, I don't really recall putting this on my head. Strange.

My thought gets interrupted when my eyes landed on Daniella who seemed to be fast sleep with her head bowed on the bed space beside me and the rest of her body, glued to a chair.

Why is she asleep in this position?

Could she be the one that placed this wet towel on my forehead?

And it seemed like she stayed up all night beside me. My growing curiosity made me tap her lightly. She soon woke up, raising her head and stretching her body as she yawned. She didn't seem to notice me with her eyes still closed.

“Ouch, my neck hurts.” She muttered while trying to massage her neck with her hand.

She finally opened her eyes and was surprised to see me up.

“You are awake? How do you feel?” She asked, looking all worried.

She leaned forward and before I figured what she was trying to do, she placed the back of her hand on my forehead like she was trying to check something. Her face is suddenly inches away from mine, I couldn't help but admire how beautiful she is whenever she's close to me like this.

It made me recall what happened yesterday, how close we were. My heart suddenly skipped a beat.

It hasn't done that for anyone, at least not since Victoria, the woman I once loved. It's so confusing.

“Thank goodness the fever has died down, how are you feeling now?” She asked, now looking into my eyes.

Looking into her eyes, I could clearly see the genuine concern for me in them. Suddenly, I became afraid. Not for myself, but for her. I held her hand that was still on my forehead and put it away.

“I am fine. Did you stay by my side all night?” I asked, tearing my gaze from hers.

“Yes I did, you..”

“Why?”

“You had a high fever last night, so I tried cooling you down all night before then I slept off.” She explained.

“You should have just given me some tablets and I'll be fine instead of stressing yourself and staying by my side all night.” I muttered, not looking up at her or showing her how appreciative I am for her care.