Fire and Ice

Harry and Draco started school again after the war. They wanted to finish their seventh year. Harry was grateful to Draco for the help he had given him during the war and decided to show goodwill. He tried to be friendly with him. He sat down next to him on the bench, but the other boy was very withdrawn. He did return Harry's greeting, but that was all. He's like a block of ice, Harry thought. He didn't really understand why he wanted to get closer to Draco, talk to him, and maybe win his friendship. He respected his courage, with which he joined him and his friends during the war. Draco wasn't having it easy at all now. No one talked to him, no one trusted him. He seemed apathetic and disinterested, but Harry could tell he was struggling inside.

"Don't you want to have a broom race?" Harry asked for one Saturday off.

"Are you serious, Potter?" Draco tried to sound arrogant, but Harry wasn't stupid. He saw a glimmer of interest in his eyes.

"Of course. Nobody flies as well as you. It will be a challenge."

"All right then," Draco smirked.

Harry planned a route. It was quite a distance, but Draco didn't protest. He also wanted to get out of Hogwarts for a while, where everyone was looking at him with contempt.

They flew fast, very fast. Draco was very good; he had great technique, but wasn't enough for the energetic Harry.

"Okay, so you win. Satisfied? At least give me a break," Draco growled as he landed moments after Harry in a small clearing.

"I won't give you a break," Harry said provocatively.

Draco stared at him in surprise.

"I don't see what you want, Potter."

"Don't worry," said Harry. "I will show you something. Follow me."

Maybe it's a trap, Draco thought. Can he trust Harry? This whole event was weird. The reasoning of the Gryffindors was beyond his comprehension.

Meanwhile, Harry led him to a high tree stand. He climbed up, and Draco followed him.

"Beautiful," Harry breathed. The view was magical.

"A variety of magical creatures can be seen here, especially at night."

"I hope you don't want to keep me here overnight. Why did you even bring me here?"

Harry shrugged. "You like it here, don't you?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"I've never taken anyone else here before," Harry said.

"How did I deserve the privilege of being here?"

Harry shrugged.

"I like it here. It's quiet here. Sometimes, I like being alone."

"I understand."

Harry opened a small wooden box and handed Draco a bottle of fire whiskey. "Do you want?"

"Do you secretly come here to drink?"

"As you can see, the bottle isn't even open."

"Are you saving it for special occasions?"

"Maybe," Harry said, opening the bottle, taking a drink and handing it to Draco.

"It's not as bad as I expected."

"Maybe I'm not as bad as you thought either," Harry smiled, winking at Draco.

Draco didn't know if it was the fire whiskey or the flames in Harry's eyes, but he could feel the ice crust in his heart slowly melting.

To be continued :-)