Wrong assumption

Harry reached into the box again and, this time pulled out the binoculars. He observed the surrounding landscape for a while, then concentrated his gaze in one direction.

"Come take a look."

Draco took the binoculars from Harry.

"The winged horse. Wow, that's beautiful!" he breathed.

Harry let him admire the beautiful animals and found himself just as drawn to the sight of Draco.

"Even unicorns come here at night," he added.

"They might be worth waiting for," Draco shrugged.

Harry reached into the box again and pulled out a large bar of chocolate and biscuits.

"Look, I have everything we need here. No one will be looking for us at Hogwarts.''

"Certainly not for me. No one would even notice if I never went back there," Draco sighed.

Harry froze at the words.

"I always noticed when you didn't come. Every time I went to ask Madam Pomfrey how you were doing. I know you had your hand burned by a stinging plant this year, and you also cut yourself cutting ingredients for a cold potion."

Draco's gaze suddenly softened somehow.

"Seriously? Why didn't you come to see me in the hospital wing?"

"I thought you didn't want to see me. See, you wanted nothing to do with me, you never spoke to me... I just didn't have the courage because I thought you hated me."

Draco sighed deeply.

"I would like to see you. Harry, I've always liked you, I just haven't been able to show it. I was hurt that you preferred Weasley, so I tried to act like I didn't mind, that I didn't care about you. None of this was true. I have always wanted your friendship."

Harry smiled gently at him. "It's never too late to make up." He held out his hand to Draco, and he shook it.

"Can I kiss you?" Harry asked a little mischievously.

Draco felt like he was in a dream. It was a beautiful early evening; the golden setting sun reflected in Harry's hair, and his eyes were slightly misty with a strange tenderness he hadn't seen before.

"I need more than a kiss to make up," he whispered. They slowly approached each other and kissed carefully. It was a very soft kiss, a little awkward since neither of them had much experience and they were still shy of each other, but it was the absolute best kiss for both of them. He was out of love, and they waited for it for a really long time.