Chapter 8

"Smile."

"What?"

"Try smiling sometimes it won't kill you."

"Of course you would know that." Beyoncé chuckles emotionlessly from the study table where she'd switched from her assignments to writing in her journal.

Onika smiles, "Yes I would because I smile a lot."

"Like a fool that is."

"At least I don't look like some graveyard worker. Carrying that stupid frown around everywhere I go."

Beyoncé turns to smile at her, "No comment."

Onika from her place on her bed just rolls her eyes before looking at Beyoncé dead in the eye. "You'll soon realize that there's a lot of things in this world to smile about."

"And you'll soon realize that there's a lot to frown about. And trust when I say you'll figure that out real soon."

It gets a little awkward after Beyoncé's statement and they both just sat there staring at each other until a knock from the door makes them look away from one another.

Onika goes to open the door seeing Cody and Ryan standing there, "Mrs Eden said both of you should come downstairs for dinner."

"Okay we're coming." Onika smiles at them.

"Can you umm tell us another story tonight?"

"Sure why not."

The both boys smile giddily giving one another high fives before running off down the stairs.

Onika walks back into the room avoiding Beyoncé to go change in the bathroom. She couldn't bare Beyoncé's pessimistic attitude, at least not right now because then it'd only put her in a bad mood and she didn't want to be all pissy during dinner.

____

She didn't talk much for the rest of the dinner although she wasn't as quiet as Beyoncé who hadn't even said anything and only ate half her dinner.

Onika doesn't bother taking Beyoncé's dinner upstairs seeing as she didn't appreciate it nor eat the one she brought up the first time.

She walked back into the room and Beyoncé was already fast asleep. Onika goes over to her bed and switches off the lights thoughts of how to get Beyoncé to like her clouding her mind.

____

"Hey Onika."

The shorter of the two girls look up to see Robyn waving her over from where she was standing besides a sleek looking black Jeep.

Onika smiles shyly walking over to her leaving Beyoncé behind who doesn't even bother waiting for her but just walks into the school building.

"So how was detention yesterday?"

"Boring as I expected. Mr Krimble is just a sour ass dude."

"Is his name really Krimble?" Onika asks tilting her head in a cute way.

"Shit I don't know." Robyn shrugs chuckling "But it fits him doesn't it?"

"No it doesn't. He's a black skinny ass man. That name would've fit a shaggy blonde fat old man better." Onika giggles.

"You cute."

Onika blushes at the compliment looking down at her feet, "T-thanks."

"I could walk you to class?"

"Beyoncé's already—" Onika looks back but doesn't see the girl in question which leaves a frown to form on her face "Nevermind we can go to class together."

Onika and Beyoncé hadn't talked to one another all morning. Although it seemed like Beyoncé was the one ignoring her more. But then again that was her everyday attitude.

___

The school day isn't as long and boring as it usually was and finally lunch period rolls around.

Beyoncé comes to Onika's classroom and they both walk to the cafeteria side by side encompassed in an awkward unbearable silence.

"Why'd you leave me in the morning?" Onika suddenly asks, although a bit quietly.

"You have a friend in your grade. You both can walk to classes together. It's not that big a deal."

Onika just nods silently deciding not to tell Beyoncé that she'd preferred walking with her more.

She felt protected and safe when she was with Beyoncé but with Robyn she was exposed, seeing as Robyn would stop every few seconds to dap someone up and then she'd have to introduce herself.

__

She goes to take a seat with Beyoncé and Kelly but Robyn is quick to whisk her away.

Beyoncé watches them go but is interrupted by the flick of her forehead, "Oww! what was that for?"

"Cause you staring." Kelly smiles raising a knowing brow at Beyoncé who just scrunches her nose up in disgust.

"Eww we're not even friends."

"I know."

"You better know." Beyoncé rolls her eyes looking back for a few seconds to see Onika laughing it up with Robyn and her friends.

She doesn't laugh like that when we hang out.. Beyoncé thinks but then chuckles at her own thoughts. She wasn't even funny so she what exactly did she expect?

__

"So y'all this is Onika. Onika these are my friends. Melissa and Lauren."

Onika smiles a shy smile opting to take a seat on the empty one besides Robyn, someone she was at least a little acquainted with.

"I hope Robyn hasn't either tried making a pass at you or completely traumatizing you." Lauren chuckles nudging Robyn who just rolled her eyes in mock annoyance.

"I didn't!"

Onika chuckles shaking her head, "She didn't."

She eats and chats with Robyn and her friends for awhile although she could feel eyes on her almost all through the lunch break.

At some point her eyes had caught Beyoncé's and they just stared at one another for a hot minute until Onika had finally looked away.. a small thumping feeling in her chest.

_____

Thoughts?

Beyoncé?

Onika?

Robyn?

Vote, Comment and Share+♡