Chapter 6. Signs Of A Thaw.

This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us by Sparks (1974)
https://youtu.be/Grn-wy5ugsk

be/Grn-wy5ugsk

Xander's POV.

The news that Cliff had decked Toad, and had subsequently been summoned to Jock's office, quickly did the rounds and I took the opportunity with his absence from the room to have a good nose round his side.

It was, not surprisingly, very tidy and I picked up one of the trophies that were on his dresser to get a closer look. It was an annual award for the most kicked goal points scored in a season. Against the name of Clifton Stuart for the previous season was the figure of 255. I wouldn't have known whether that was a good figure or not if it hadn't been for the fact that hardly any of the previous winners had scored more than 230 points. I was impressed.

I was then drawn to a photograph, displayed next to his trophies. It was of two identical boys, standing side by side. I picked it up to have a closer look. "Bloody hell!" I exclaimed out loud, on noticing that he was one of the two boys.

It puzzled me as to why Cliff hadn't thought to mention that he had a twin during our conversation at lunchtime

It puzzled me as to why Cliff hadn't thought to mention that he had a twin during our conversation at lunchtime. There was obviously more to him than I had first thought.

I was suddenly aware of someone to my left and sheepishly put the photograph down.

"Having a good snoop, are we?" Cliff said sarcastically as I scurried back round to my side of the barrier, not daring to look at him.

"I'm sorry," I answered as I sat down on my bed. I slowly raised my eyes to look at him. "It was interesting talking to you at lunchtime and I was just wanting to find out more about you.... I was hoping to find a clue as to why you're being so nice to me. That's all."

"You wouldn't have had to sneak round and snoop if you hadn't built that wall now, would you?" He answered.

"I'm sorry about doing that. It wasn't very friendly of me, was it?"

He chuckled and came and stood by the barrier, keeping to his side of the room. "That's an understatement if ever I heard one. It was positively most unfriendly of you. I'll accept your apology if you explain the real reason why you built this bloody monstrosity."