Chapter 36. Into The Lion's Den.

My Life by Billy Joel - Official Video (1978)
https://youtu.be/h3JFEfdK_Ls?t=7

Thought for the day:- A Hug is always the right size

A Hug is always the right size.

Clifton's POV.

I followed my father into his study. I felt sure I was going to be given a right dressing down although usually he would have bollocked me there and then. I guess Xander being present had something to do with him not doing so.

Whatever! I was determined to stand my ground. I wouldn't argue back but state my position clearly, yet politely, and would fight my corner.

The words from a Billy Joel song that Xander had played me earlier kept repeating in my head:

'I don't care what you say anymore this is my life
Go ahead with your own life leave me alone'

Those words particularly resonated with me and I took some strength from them, hoping they could help me focus when talking to him.

I closed the door behind me and stood by his desk. He waved a hand, nonchalantly towards the leather Chesterfield antique armchair as he settled into his favourite Eames lounge armchair. Both were reproductions and not original or antiques but Dad wasn't bothered by that. It was all for show.

"What the hell do you think you were playing at Clifton? You know better than to ambush me like that. That boy's father is a senior partner in a very influential and successful company. He has impeccable contacts throughout the Far East and I was hoping Xander would be able to make an introduction for me. If I had balled you out in front of your guest...., as you deserve, then I could have kissed goodbye to any help from him."

"I'm sorry Dad...., I didn't know about that..... It's just we promised ourselves that we would take the first opportunity to be honest with you...., just like we did with his father."

A look of incredulity formed quickly on his face. "His father knows?"

"Yes Dad.... We told him this week.... He visited Xander's grandparents to tell them that his girlfriend had just had a baby boy. Xander had a long talk with him and his Dad is really cool about us being together."

"That's brilliant Clifton," Dad replied. There was a definite sarcastic tone to his voice. "So if I'm not, as you say 'cool' about it," inverting his fingers as he said the word cool, "then I'm going to look very 'uncool' and stand no chance of doing any business with his father."

"I'm sorry Dad.... This is not about you. It's about me and Xander."

"Oh, I see....!" Dad glared at me. "So you think that makes it alright, do you? To hell with the consequences and the problems it causes?"

"No Dad.... If we didn't tell you then that's what would cause a problem. I knew you wouldn't be happy about it but we wanted to be honest with you straight away."