Chapter 48. Farcical.

Help (Get me some Help) by Tony Ronald (1971)
https://youtu.be/rN8-v_xjWmQ?t=60

be/rN8-v_xjWmQ?t=60

Clifton's POV.

It was Thursday when the special assembly we had all been expecting the past few days was finally called straight after breakfast. Not only were all the Master's present but representatives from the Board of Governors were too.

"I can't see Nessie," Xander remarked as Jock began the Assembly by announcing that Mervyn Rees-Jones had been expelled for an attempted rape of a fellow student.

I looked around to see if he was behind us but I couldn't see him. "Maybe he will come in later," I suggested as Jock was praising Merv the Perv's intended victim's bravery for seeking help from one of the Masters before the attack took place, stressing that was the correct way to report sexual abuse and blackmail.

Jock then stressed that anyone reporting sexual abuse, blackmail, or bullying in the future, would be given anonymity, and making it very clear that sexual abuse, of any sort, will not be tolerated in the school. He then went into a lengthy spiel about the school's faculty being shocked at the high level of degradation and humiliation inflicted on the Gruesome Threesome, stating that he believed that the intensity of the assault was solely down to the fact that the victims were being held accountable for the rugby team losing their recent cup game.

Jock didn't waste time in hauling Leo and Bradley up onto the stage. He cited that, as the main perpetrators, they had used unsubstantiated claims that the Gruesome Threesome had been involved in blackmail, sexual abuse, intimidation, and harassment on other boys purely as an excuse to exercise a vigilante style of justice simply to settle old scores.

"There is no place for vigilantes in this school. Taking revenge in this manner is not acceptable and it will not happen again," Jock stated as he promptly expelled them.

The response from Archie Troughton, sitting not far from me, surprised me. "Three cheers for Bradders and Eyetie..... Hip! Hip!"

The response was almost unanimous and very loud.

"Hooray!"

"Hip! Hip!"

"Hooray!"

"Hip! Hip!"

"Hooray!"

Then the applause started. A deafening and sustained sound of hands clapping or banging so hard on the floor that you could feel the vibrations. Boo's and jeering filled the air, obviously aimed at Jock for expelling them.

You could see the annoyance on Jock's face as he tried to maintain order as calls of 'Resign' rang out.

"Silence please!" he called out, raising both hands as if he was Moses and about to part the Red Sea. Masters began walking down the rows of boys trying to curb their enthusiastic clapping.