Chapter 30. Awkward.

Just When I needed You Most - Randy Vanwarmer (1979)
https://youtu.be/dWUi8y39rDA

be/dWUi8y39rDA

Clifton's POV.

'Awkward.' I said to myself as Xander's father almost choked on another slug of champagne. He seemed to drink as much as my mother, and that was saying something.

I really didn't know where to look and I knew that my face had turned a rich shade of crimson, so I settled for the obvious and fixed my gaze on the floor in front of me.

"Dad?" Xander called out. "Please say something?"

His dad just sat there, his face expressionless as he drained his glass once again before refilling it, emptying the bottle. "What do you want me to say, eh? That I am pleased for you? I sent you to a good Private School to get a decent education not to indulge in unnatural practices."

"How do you know that we are indulging in unnatural practices?" Xander countered.

David pointed at me. "You just said you were sleeping with him, didn't you?"

Xander glared at him before answering. "I didn't say we were sleeping together like you are meaning. I said we were sharing a bed. There is a big difference."

"Is there?" David answered. His voice was flat and void of emotion. I had, at least, expected him to have shouted or been angry. "You can't deal with things like most boys do Alexander....., you know that....., and putting yourself in that position you'll be taken advantage of....., and you'll end up regretting it once you start meeting girls."

"No I won't!" Xander replied indignantly. "I'm gay Dad...., and I know exactly what I'm doing."

His father drained his glass and then suddenly stood up and strode out of the room. Xander looked at me, his face laced with confusion and fear. A look I had seen on his face many times and knew he was desperately trying to hold it all together.

The sound of another champagne bottle being popped sounded and, as David re-entered the room with a bottle in one hand and another full glass in the other, Gethin stood up and took a hold of David's arm, preventing him from taking another slug of champagne. "Stop knocking that back like there was no tomorrow. It's time for you to sit down and talk honestly with Xander. Despite his Alexes he is managing okay. If only you would listen to him you would learn that he is just finding out what it is to be in love. Dulling your mind with champagne is not going to help either of you."

I went and sat next to Xander, putting an arm across his shoulders as he looked like he was about to break down in tears.

Megan handed us both a mug of tea. "He does care about you, Xander. You know that, don't you?"

Xander nodded in response but didn't say anything.

I saw Gethin, earnestly whispering to David. Eventually he managed to make a more composed looking David to sit down opposite us. He motioned to me to follow him as he left the room with Megan.