chapter 19

"OW! REALLY ALEX!?" Kara yells as her sister slams her to the ground again. They have been training for almost a week now, Kara doesn't have her full powers back yet but she's seemed to regain her healing ability and a bit of her strength but nothing else very noteworthy. "You wanted to train with me still!" Alex calls after her sister who is laying on the ground grumbling under her breath. Alex has been watching Kara like a hawk and when she's not training she's being drowned in yellow sun radiation in an attempt to return her powers which seems to be working.

"Hey Alex, Ruby is here she said something about you promising to have lunch with her while Sam is in Metropolis on her work trip." Lena says as she walks into the room not yet noticing her girlfriend laying on the floor. "Okay I'll be right there," she looks at Kara, "I know you don't want to but you need to get back under the sun lamps, okay?" she says sternly before leaving the room to have lunch with her daughter. Kara simply grumbles in response to her sisters request as she sits up a slight bruise forming on her side from training, it'll be gone in an hour or two but she can't help but wince at the pain from it before she starts to stand up all the way seeing Lena across the room.

"Hey Lee, yes I know I need to go back to my bed and back to the sun lamps... I just wish there was another way we could do this." she sighs knowing that this is the only answer they have so far, she walks over to her girlfriend and lays her head on her shoulder sighing as Lena rubs small circles on her back. "Well as it so happens Kar I got permission from J'onn so tomorrow I'm taking you out, we are getting up in the morning and spending the day out in the sun, it should be just as effective as the sun lamps and I'll be right there to monitor you, I think we could both use a bit of fresh air right now. " she says with a slight chuckle. "Well what are we waiting for? let's go to bed so it can be tomorrow already." Kara says eagerly causing Lena to laugh at her girlfriend's antics.

The pair head back to the med bay and Kara lays under the sun lamps already feeling her bruise healing up, she sighs in relief as the pain from training subsides and she relaxes her self finally. Lena sits in her chair next to Kara's bed and takes Kara's hand, "Look Kar, if we are doing this tomorrow there needs to be some ground rules, first, no hero stuff. Everyone else will be out patrolling nearby and you can't risk getting hurt. Secondly, if you start to feel in any way sick or anything you tell me immediately, these sun lamps are concentrated yellow sun radiation so being outside in the sun won't be the same as these lamps. And last but not least you must stay in my field of view the whole time, if I can't see you then I can't see if something happens to you and especially if I lose you Alex will kill me." She says the last part with slight worry in her voice knowing full well the eldest Danvers very well could kill her.

"Lee all this isn't necessary, I'll be fine." Before she can finish Lena cuts her off. "Promise you'll follow the rules." she says causing Kara to look up at her and smile softly, "I promise Lee." she says and Lena nods her head, she knows Kara hates being treated this way but she can help it, she finally found someone who saw her as more than a Luthor, more than her money or her name and she was not about to let that go. The rest of the day goes by pretty uneventful with Kara practically buzzing with excitement about finally being able to go outside and get coffee and touch some grass and all the other stuff her and Lena will do tomorrow until the sun goes down. She knows that Lena is just trying to keep her safe but she can't help her need to help those in need, but she promised Lena she'd follow the rules, and risking hurting her girlfriend was something she simply wasn't willing to do so she silently swears to herself to not be a hero tomorrow, just be Kara, that's all she has to be.

The next morning Kara basically jumps out of bed in excitement knowing her and Lena get to go outside today, she gently shakes Lena awake and smiles brightly at the woman as she slowly and sleepily opens her eyes. "Come on Lee, we get to go outside today!" Kara exclaims as she jumps out of bed running to her bag to get clothes out for today leaving a very amused and very tired Lena to laugh at her excitement. Lena grabs herself some clothes and changes in the bathroom while Kara finished getting dressed both taking turns doing their makeup, hair, brushing their teeth etc. After they both finally finish Kara takes Lena's hand and practically drags her to the elevator to get downstairs causing Lena to laugh at her girlfriend's excitement.

"So Kar, what do you want to do today?" Lena asks once the two make it outside, Kara's eyes light up at the fresh air and sunshine she has been lacking for almost two weeks now, she takes a deep breath and looks over at Lena. "Coffee, please, I love the DEO but the coffee there is horrendous." She says laughing earning a small smile from Lena as she rolls her eyes. "Of all the things you're excited about coffee? really? not even pizza? or pot stickers? Well if you say so." She shrugs while laughing taking Kara by the hand and leading her to Noonans to get her favorite coffee.

~~~

a/n: OK OK OK I KNOW I KEEP DROPPING OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH BUT TAKE THIS AS AN APOLOGY! A FEW MORE CHAPTERS ARE IN THE WORKS BUT PROB WON'T BE PUBLISHED FOR A FEW DAYS 🫶

if you guys are still here and still want me to keep writing this pls lmk and I will continue it I promise and I'll try to not fall off the face of the earth as much anymore :)