three

Offers and Gifts...

Time was creeping up to them rather quickly, and they were still unable to escape each other's thoughts. One small conversation could've been good for the two, but neither of them wanted that anymore, and it was for different reasons.

Sam lifted his head, allowing his eyes to roam the pathway slowly. He had a feeling someone was watching them, and as his eyes connected with an older man who flenched that he had been caught, Sam released an exhausted sigh.

"Fuck," he mumbled causing Lou to look over at him.

"What?" Lou questioned.

"That man just saw us puttin' this guy in your trunk," Sam responded lowly, closing the passenger side door. The guy was knocked unconscious in an alley way, but clearly this happened at the same time the old man went to toss his trash out, "I'll be right back."

Sam followed the man who rushed off into the store while coughing, noticing the white apron wrapped around him. He must've worked there in the deli area, taking the trash out because the store getting ready to close within minutes.

Sam pulled on the door handle, entering the store as the chimes went off above his head.

The old man tried explaining to his son at the register what happened, but Sam was already there, the silence erupting in a snap of finger.

"Jesus Christ," the man uttered, moving his hand near his forehead and then tap his shoulders for a mini prayer. It was evident what kind of man Sam was, neither one of them wanting any trouble.

The man behind the counter sent a small smile to Sam, "how ya' doin'?" his accent thick.

Sam eyed him, but stayed silent, making his way to the fridge area by walking past the old man who let out another cough, covering his mouth with his fist. Sam opened the fridge to grab a drink before turning on his feet to head back towards the register, snatching some chips that were sitting on the rack along the way.

The old man was sending signals to his son in hopes he got the hint, his son going wide eyed as if he read his mind. Saying a word would probably leave them both with bullets in them, so they played it cool.

Sam tossed the chips on the counter and slid the juice over, asking, "how much?" seeing the old man had a white cloth by his mouth now, coughing again. A  few dried patches of blood were visible on the cloth, Sam taking note of that.

"Three dolla's," the man said not needing to scan since the items were common in the store.

Sam took his wallet from his pocket, "and how much to keep you to quiet?" he asked with his gaze on the bills in his wallet. He pulled a ten out, catching the man was staring at him with lifted brows.

"Quite about what?" the son asked.

Sam roughly sighs, "let's not play stupid. How much for the tape and your silence?"

The old man clearly had medical issues, and although this seemed scary for the father and son, Sam might just be their guardian angel.

"I want nothing. I'll give it to you and keep my word," the son said, wanting Sam to leave without damaging them or their store.

"You sure?" Sam raised his brows, "no medical bills that need to be paid off? Getting him to the proper Doctor, maybe?"

They caught Sam on a good day that day because if it was the day before, Sam wouldn't have been asking questions or offering money. He would've just lit the whole place on fire and left.