twenty

Back from Black...

Natalie sat in the chair with a magazine in her hand, skimming the articles, although her mind was far from focused on that. She showed up to the salon Ayan works at and has been looking at the same fifteen words for the last five minutes.

While Ayan was finishing up with a client, Natalie was thinking of Sam. He was everything and gave her everything; what was there not to daydream about?

Waking up next to him felt nostalgic, and tearing their bodies apart for a hair appointment was not something she wanted to do. She wanted to live in his skin, breathing in the same air as him on every inhale, but nine o'clock was rolling in fast.

She was in no rush to get out of the door to catch the train since Sam had offered to take her. So, she got to enjoy the moment of being in his space for a couple of minutes as they washed the sleep from their faces and brushed their teeth. Sam kept catching her stare, and when he would ask, she would shake her head with a smile.

Natalie was just embracing this simple yet peaceful moment with him. It's been forever since they've been able to enjoy it without random thoughts of the past popping up.

They quickly took a stop in Luca's room to check on him, seeing that he was awake but just laying there in silence. Natalie was the first to pick him up, smothering him in kisses as she rocked him from side to side.

With the mention of them getting breakfast, Natalie called Ayan to see if she could push back her appointment a little. Ayan had a small window open around eleven, Natalie taking the slot before someone else could.

Natalie gets herself dressed in a white fitted short-sleeve top, a dark pair of cargo pants, and sneakers. She pulled her hair into a tight bun so she wouldn't have to add any product to it since Ayan was going to wash it out anyway.

She had a few flyaways, but even as she sat there across from Sam in the booth, looking through the menu, he admired how pretty she looked. The sun was peering through the window and kissing her brown skin. How couldn't he get lost in her?

They found themselves talking and laughing while waiting for the food, Natalie speaking to Luca in this pitchy voice as she stared at him with admiration. The little boy still had a lot of hair, and the dark strands were still soft when she touched them.

"I am so sorry for the wait, girl," Ayan said as she began stepping over to Natalie, immediately wrapping her arms around her.

Natalie smiled, placing the magazine down on her lap, "it's alright. You squeezed me in when you didn't have to. The wait was nothing," she said, bringing her hand up to rest on Ayan's arm since she was held tight in the chair.

Ayan kissed her cheek, "why did you push your appointment back?" she asked, lifting off of her.

Natalie spoke, "went to get some breakfast."

Starting to bring her hands up to Natalie's hair to take out the ponytail holder, Ayan asked, "with who? Elliot?"

"Elias," Natalie corrected with a smirk, Ayan rolling her eyes, "and no."

"I know his damn name. I just don't care to say it right," she shrugged, pulling gently on Natalie's ends to stretch the hair. Ayan loves Natalie and supports any choice she makes, but she was rooting for her and Sam, and there was no shame behind it.

As a best friend, Ayan sat there, wiped her tears, and helped her get back to herself. She even encouraged her to date. But, in the back of her mind, Ayan had her favorite, and it wasn't Elias.

When she heard the threat Sam made about Elias, Ayan agreed.

Her exact words were: "I mean, can you blame him? You're the love of his life, and you're out with another man. If it was me and Ruben and he was out with someone else, call me whatever, but I'm fucking both of them up."