Chapter 6

"Would you look at that, they finally addressed the whole thing," Jang-mi rolled her eyes, handing over her phone to Mira who was sitting opposite her on the cafe's wiry chairs.

The pair had met 3 years ago at a workshop event, soon becoming close friends after bonding over their shared passions for music and dance. Though Ahri was Jang-mi's closest confidant, she could be much more reliant on Mira for anything regarding the idol industry and dance in general.

"Took them a while. Usually, these statements get released t-minus 3 hours after the Dispatch reveal," the tall girl shrugged, her blonde highlights glinting as they caught the sunlight from the window.

"Oh, yeah. How are things with you and Chan? I'm guessing he's really busy," Jang-mi asked, biting into an elegantly decorated vanilla éclair.

"Hm? I guess. He always finds some time for me, like yesterday he drove over and we had a movie date," she mused.

"I'm surprised you haven't been caught yet,"

"Well, for starters, he didn't take me out for coffee a day after we properly met," Mira smiled. Her spoon quickly met the mousse on the table, the chocolate-packed dessert disappearing within mere seconds into her mouth.

Her secret relationship with Dino had been ongoing for the past 2 years and the pair seemed to have miraculously averted all eyes of the media. Though Mira saw dance as more of a hobby or side gig (her day job being that of a lawyer) she knew the ins and outs of the industry thanks to Chan and some of her other friends who were either idols, stylists or managers.

"I really don't know what to do. I'm assuming the announcement also implies that I should stay away from him as much as possible to not make something like this happen again," Jang-mi stated gloomily.

"Maybe, but speaking from experience, anything is possible if you do it in private,"

"Unfortunately, I chose the other route. If I act uninterested - and I am uninterested, then he'll-"

"Excuse me unnie, are you Kim Jang-mi?" a short girl in school uniform interrupted, quietly walking up to the pair.

"Hm? Yep, that's me,"

The girl's eyes twinkled and a smile formed on her face. "Wow! I'm a huge fan. Do you mind if we take a selfie?" she innocently inquired, pulling out her decorated iPhone to pose in front of the table.

At that moment, Mira's phone began to ring, causing her to quickly excuse herself to pick it up.

"One.. two.. three.." Jang-mi flashed her pearly teeth whilst wrapping her arm around the girl's shoulder.

"That's great, thank you!" the girl spun towards the table, away from the sunlight, to check the photos. Jang-mi turned her back to their seats to go and pick out a dessert she promised Ahri from the display case.

"It was Chan. Said he was getting dinner with the boys so we canceled our date tonight," Mira announced, returning from her phone call a few minutes later. The pair sat back down to resume their conversation.

"As I was saying, I don't even like him," Jang-mi repeated, sipping her drink in tiny gulps.

"You sure about that?"

"Yes I am. I'm as sure about that as I'm sure your name is Choi Mira,"

"Well actually it's meant to be Mirae, but whatever," Mira laughed. "You'll see. I thought I didn't like him either, but here we are,"

"Your situation was way different," Jang-mi retorted, pointing her spoon at her friend in an accusatory gesture. The other lifted her hands up slightly, imitating being threatened by Jang-mi.