Chapter 26

A few seconds passed in full silence, with Hoshi's grip tightening on the suitcase handle until his knuckles turned pale white. It seemed as if the whole world went still, being so quiet he could hear a pin drop. After a few moments, some faint shuffling began on the other side of the door. He held his breath in anticipation.

Soon, the door unlocked. His eyes were fixated on the doorknob as he watched it slowly twist, until the entrance pried open and he was standing in front of Jang-mi.

She was wearing a simple grey t-shirt and sweatpants, had no make-up on and her hair was in a messy bun with strands of hair poking out in different directions, visible bags hanging under her eyes. Nevertheless, Hoshi still believed that she was the most beautiful person in the world - even in that moment. The two stared at each other in silence, until she launched herself onto him, knocking him off his feet in a tight hug.

"I missed you so much," she whispered, her eyes beginning to glaze a little as their bodies pressed against each other.

He stood back up, wiping a forming tear off her cheek. "I missed you too. But I'm here now, and that's what matters," he said tenderly, enveloping her in a long-needed kiss, lips on lips, hands frantically moving across each other's bodies as if trying to feel out every minute detail they could've forgotten over their time apart. Erratically, Hoshi took his cap off, moving to his puffer coat and fiddling with the zipper until-

"Can you two get a room?"

The pair halted, Jang-mi's leg wrapped around Hoshi's, her hands in his hair and on his waist. Both of them slowly turned their heads to see a couple with a small child disappointedly glaring at them. Their faces flushed a crimson red.

"Mommy, why is that woman climbing onto that man?" the little girl asked, staring right at her mother with confusion.

It was then the mother's turn to get flustered. "Well, uh, Minju, you see-"

"Alright, let's go. We can get you ice cream on the way, Minju," her father said, gently taking her hand and leading her away, with the girl skipping along, evidently very excited for dessert. He gave a brief angry look to Jang-mi and Hoshi.

The three disappeared from view until a small voice spoke up again, echoing against the corridor walls. "Daddy, what was that sound they were making?"

The two stood, quiet, for a few moments. After they were sure the family was gone, Hoshi facepalmed himself.

Jang-mi smirked. "First time seeing you so flustered," she remarked.

"Well, just know you won't see it again," he replied, hauling up his suitcase and walking inside the apartment. It wasn't large, but it was bright and well decorated, with large windows that looked onto the apartment complex's shared yard.

After settling in and putting away his luggage, the two plopped onto the living room couch. He wrapped his arm around her, slowly massaging the top of her back with his thumb, her head resting heavily on his shoulder.

"You know," he mumbled into the side of her neck, "maybe we could start a family like that."

She shuffled her head around slightly. "Soonyoung, we're not even a year into this," she responded lazily.

"I mean, not now, obviously, but maybe someday down the line..."

She smiled, blissfully closing her eyes. "Soonie, I love you to death, but I have no clue how this could work. And don't tell me you're pulling a-"