Chapter 1: Caught in the Crossfire

Ultra Magnus waited patiently at the entrance to his ship as another, smaller, Autobot vessel connected to his docking bay. There was a gentle lurch, but the commander held his ground. Then, the door opened and in walked a femme, the top of her helm reaching his intake, with mostly black and green paint slathered neatly over long, thin arms. Her bright blue optics quickly located his and she held up a datapad. A short wire ran between the datapad and her wrist, instantly sharing data between the two.

"I was able to locate four Autobot signals scattered across the planet; two of which are located in close proximity." Verdant passed the datapad over. "On the other servo, the Decepticon scan was inconclusive. Their numbers are high and condensed, with various signals across the planet, but most of them are located in a place called Jasper."

Magnus frowned. "It seems unlikely that the Decepticons would leave their base of operations uncloaked."

"It isn't exactly hidden, sir," Verdant reached over and tapped the screen, pulling up an image of a massive citadel amongst the ruins of a tiny civilization. "They seem to have recently constructed this fortress and it appears to be the epicenter of our energy surge."

Magnus rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Is that all?"

Verdant nodded.

He returned her datapad. "Then we must reunite with our fellow comrades and assist them in the destruction of these Decepticons."

"How would you have us go about this task, sir?" Verdant questioned.

"We will meet up with the lone Autobot signals first, and then rendezvous with the two in proximity. Send me a copy of your scan," Magnus instructed.

Verdant obliged, and the two of them picked their targets before Verdant left her commander's ship. The two of them disconnected their vessels and Verdant steered toward Earth.

The planet's terrain was a bit wet and organic, and like many of the other planets she and Magnus had visited, not much information had been available regarding them. Exploration was never really one of their species' specialties before the war.

It was not long before she was nearing the location of her target, but quizzically, her scanner began to beep. Verdant frowned and pulled her controls skyward, back into the cover of the clouds. She pulled the device out and narrowed her optics at the new readings.

Another Autobot signal had gone online, already at the location of her target. Of course, her scanner would not have alerted her of this new signal, because it was not a threat. They could have been together for a while now.

The alarm went off for another reason. Decepticons in the area, headed straight for the Autobot signals.

Scowling, Verdant readjusted her hold on the controls and her ship took a nosedive, headed straight for the 'cons. They hadn't yet noticed her and landed by a river, not far from her signal. Verdant glanced to the side and managed to catch sight of two Autobots laying on top of a cliff as she passed.

Their optics seemed to widen and one of them stood, waving his arms frantically. Verdant frowned. His warning was pointless. She already knew about the Decepticons.

Readjusting her line of sight, Verdant flew in close to the ground and started shooting at the vehicons rapidly, her blasts riddling the area. She finished them off and reached to deactivate her weapons right as she passed over the river.

Unfortunately, there was a loud boom as an explosion sounded beneath her. Verdant yelped, grabbing ahold of her controls tightly as the systems malfunctioned. Cruise control was deactivated and Verdant's ship hit the side of a cliff before she could stop it.