Chapter 9: Ice and Bones

She didn't do it.

Regardless of how Verdant felt regarding Ratchet's inability to properly judge her abilities, she believed in the chain of command and if she broke it now, there would be no repairing it.

Eventually, she commed Ratchet and explained to him why she wouldn't immediately run off to do her duties. It had a lot to do with respect and authority, and after listening to her prattle on long enough, Ratchet agreed to let her out on the condition that she wouldn't plug into anything for three more hours.

She considered returning to her ship to continue repairs, but her conversation with Optimus returned to her and she decided that making herself scarce wouldn't do any good. Instead, Verdant found herself sitting awkwardly in the base, watching the others calmly and taking mental notes on their activities. When she was done, she could download them to her personal archives and the file of her time on Earth.

Unfortunately, even such a mundane task became difficult. Ratchet was sending everyone out in groups of three to scout blips in the radar that may have been Decepticon signals. When they were travelling in smaller groups, it was more difficult to pinpoint their signals, so optic contact was needed for confirmation.

They hadn't been successful. Wheeljack even accused Ratchet of sending them on a wild goose chase for sport.

Verdant didn't want to disagree. She wasn't exactly happy with Ratchet.

Right now, Arcee, Bumblebee, and Smokescreen were out, and Optimus and Ultra Magnus hadn't returned from their trip either.

Ratchet didn't even look up the next time the monitor began to beep. "If you're a wrecker, get out of the base."

Then he glanced back at them and glared. "Unless you're a human."

Miko groaned. "Really, Ratch!?"

"Yes, Mik. Stay."

"But you can't let them go alone," Miko pointed at Bulkhead's face. "Look at that cute, innocent face! Would you really let him leave base with only Wheeljack as backup?"

Wheeljack looked incredibly offended. "I can-"

"Please, Ratchet!" Miko begged. "I terminated Hardshell, I can go!"

"If you want backup, Verdant can go, but you, Miko, you aren't going anywhere."

Miko gaped. "You'd let her go and not me!?"

Verdant hadn't been paying attention, busy looking over her notes, but at the sound of her name, she was now wide awake and alert. "Go where? Why?"

Ratchet glared at her. "You're going with the wreckers to scout for bone excavations."

"No!" Wheeljack exclaimed. "You said if we wanted to!"

Bulkhead sighed. "They're going to get away before we get there."

"Yeah!" Ratchet quickly jumped on that excuse. "Now let me exercise my authority and go search the quadrant before the 'cons get away."

"Yes sir," Verdant stood up and headed for the groundbridge.

Ratchet crossed his arms and looked at Wheeljack. "You should follow her example more often."

Bulkhead patted Wheeljack's shoulder as he walked past. "He's got you there."

"Her?" Wheeljack shook his helm in disappointment. "How did I come to be surrounded by idiots?"

The three of them passed through the groundbridge onto a soft, white terrain that was cold and barren, aside from a large blue mass ahead of them.