Chapter 13: We All Have Trauma

The groundbridge reopened and in drove the Autobots, all but Optimus and Ultra Magnus transforming. The two larger bots continued down the hall, heavy and slow with energon.

All attention was now on her.

"Where have you been all this time?" Arcee grinned. "I've never seen so much unguarded energon in my life."

Smokescreen was vibrating with excite. "You are magically! The 'cons will be sore to find out we're the ones with the advantage!"

Bulkhead clapped her back. "You've seen the look of Optimus when we found. So much stress disappeared and it looked like he melted."

"I can't believe it!" Bumblebee exclaimed. "How did you find it all?"

"She followed orders," Wheeljack scowled in her direction before stomping out of the room.

Verdant frowned.

Arcee crossed his arms. "He got in another fight with Ultra Magnus."

"Over what?"

"How to properly carry energon," Bumblebee sighed, dragging a servo down his face.

Ratchet walked over. "Wheeljack is always going to be Wheeljack. Don't let his antics get you down, we secured a major victory today."

"Ratchet is right," Arcee smiled at Verdant. "And we couldn't have done it without you."

Verdant returned the smile. "Now we just have to win the war."

"Yeah, should be easy," Smokescreen laughed.

"Well," Verdant stood up and cleared her throat. "I was up all night, so I'm going to go get some recharge."

"Sure," Bulkhead stepped out of her way.

Verdant quickly escaped their circle and went to the hallway. Thank Primus for bots who didn't eavesdrop on her medical talks with Ratchet. Maybe only Wheeljack did that. Instead of going into her unused berthroom, Verdant headed to her ship.

She didn't need rest, she just needed a break from suffocating embrace of bots who thought she was a savior. Ultra Magnus always got the memo. She was doing her job, she was good at her job, just like the rest of them. The only difference was that Verdant wasn't fighting Decepticons or facing death.

The praise was nice, but more plentiful than she wanted.

After all, she enjoyed her job. They paid for theirs with their lives.

Verdant slipped into the ship and paused. It was looking better, much better than she'd managed to get it. Someone else had been working in here.

Before she could even wonder who, Wheeljack climbed out of the fuel tank. His back was facing her and Verdant doubted that he noticed her presence yet. The wrecker looked angry, and his servo was sliced open, dripping energon.

Verdant quietly walked over and leaned against the door as he poked at it in annoyance. "Did something rash?"

Wheeljack swirled around, fist curled, and rammed his servo into the wall next to her face. Verdant jumped in surprise and flinched back.

"What is your problem!?" Wheeljack demanded.

"What?" Verdant was still getting over the fact that he nearly terminated her. "Huh?"

"You think you're so much better than everyone else because you're smarter and follow orders?" he demanded. "Well, you're not! You're just scared of what the world would be like if you could think for yourself! You don't want to question Ultra Magnus's authority because it would make your life harder to decide how to live!"