Chapter 17: Infected Systems

Apparently, the bots weren't entirely sure what happened. Ultra Magnus's team didn't experience any issues, but they were the only ones.

Bumblebee and Smokescreen were strapped down to the berths by Arcee and Optimus, for reasons Ratchet didn't seem to understand either. Verdant stepped forward to look for injuries, but Optimus held out a servo and stopped her.

Arcee was panicking, her digits scratching the paint off of her helm as she cursed repeatedly, optics wide with horror and confusion.

"Arcee," Optimus turned to her in concern. "You need to calm down. This matter will be resolved."

"They were the kinds of monsters out of nightmares, Optimus," Arcee said breathlessly. "What the frag was going on on the Nemesis?"

Optimus looked at Ultra Magnus and Bulkhead. "Escort Arcee out of the med-bay."

Wheeljack stepped forward, intake wide, but Optimus cut him off. "You too. Leave."

He scowled before doing exactly that.

Optimus looked at Ratchet and Verdant. "I fear this is the result of Decepticon experimentation on Silas."

"Silas?" Ratchet and Verdant asked simultaneously.

He nodded. "The remains of the hybrid created in the wake of Silas's termination were discovered by Arcee and Bumblebee. It is likely that C.Y.L.A.S. infected Bumblebee."

"With what?" Ratchet demanded.

"I don't know," Optimus rubbed his helm. "But it made them violent and aggressive. My team encountered a group of vehicons, all of which were fighting each other. The more... demented vehicons were draining the energon from their allies. That is what they managed to do to Smokescreen before we pulled them off."

Verdant looked at their two most innocent warriors and frowned in confusion.

Optimus continued. "Smokescreen then exhibited the same behaviors and attacked us. I was forced to knock him into stasis. I expect Arcee was faced with the same dilemma."

Ratchet scanned Bumblebee. "Is it reversible?"

"It must be," Verdant decided. "We will try until it happens."

Ratchet grabbed a syringe and inserted it into the scout's arm. "We need to find out what components affected them."

Verdant looked at Optimus. "I know where to find that information."

"Stealing the information from the Nemesis would be a death sentence," Ratchet exclaimed. "If the problem originated from Shockwave or Knockout's experiment, that is where you would need to go, but the point of origin would be the most dangerous area!"

Verdant nodded. "But the way to the bridge was safe. Whatever was ruining the Decepticon ranks, Megatron didn't want that issue spreading to his command center. If I can get there, I can—"

"The others were there for five minutes and already two of them were incapacitated! A non-combatant like you could not possibly make it out without being infected, and then the information would be moot and I'd loose the other other bot that can help me cure them!"

"If we don't know what's causing the issue, we can't fix it. If we wait too long to figure it out, the damage could be irreparable," Verdant pointed out.

"Irreparable to three bots instead of two," Ratchet glared.

Verdant crossed her arms. "I only need the others to buy enough time for me to download the information about the experiments. Last time, the team was caught by surprise and split up. If everyone is together and aware of the situation, it is less likely that anyone will be infected."