Chapter 16: Assault Backfires

Verdant was laying on her back, legs sticking out from beneath the controlboard of her ship while the rest of her body was engulfed. One of her tentacles slithered out and blindly grasped around until a certain tool was located before returning to her technological cave.

A pair of pedes approached, small clicks echoing off the ship floor. Verdant's optics flashed white for half a second as she ran the sound through previous recordings of bots walking in her ship.

"Wheeljack," she acknowledged. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm bored," he responded. "Thought I could keep working on this hunk of junk."

She frowned up at the wires she was connecting. "If you keep calling my ship names, we're going to have a problem."

He chuckled. "What are you working on down there?"

"My signal receiver won't power up when it's connected to the hull's mainframe, so I'm rewiring it into the control panel's power system."

"Huh," Wheeljack tilted sideways and peeked into the crevice Verdant wedged herself into. "So you know how to handle circuitry too?"

"I know how to do a lot."

He grinned. "My kind of femme."

Verdant paused. "Wheeljack... about last night, I–"

"No need to say anything," he took a step back. "I think I know you well enough to have figured it out already. I'll be working on your thrusters. Let me know if you need anything."

Verdant pushed herself out from under the dash to follow him, but she saw Bulkhead's backside squeeze through the door.

"Oh," Wheeljack called out to her, "and I brought Bulkhead to help, hope you don't mind!"

Verdant sighed. "Nope."

Then she crawled back under.

Rewiring the signal receiver wasn't a difficult task. The hard part was already over, really. She needed to get the wires out of the hull mainframe and into this compartment, which required some patience and care while navigating the surrounding environment. The actual act of connecting the wires was rather simple.

Verdant finished up and scooted out before standing up and looking at the device embedded in her control panel. It was flashing.

An overload of power was perfectly capable of producing this outcome, but... Verdant frowned as she opened the channel. This was a genuine distress signal, originating from a set of coordinates travelling at a constant velocity in the upper atmosphere. The signal's signature was slightly odd, a mixture between cybertronian and... another familiar code rhyme unnervingly close to that of Earth technology.

But there was something else more urgent about this distress signal, Verdant realized.

She jabbed her servo into the control panel and downloaded the data while activating her comms. "Optimus Prime, sir, I've discovered vital intel on the location of the Decepticons. I would advise gathering your team in the base."

"Is there danger approaching?" he asked.

"Not for us," Verdant pulled out of the device and rushed to the door of her ship. "Not unless it is self-inflicted."

"Understood."

"Wheeljack, Bulkhead," Verdant yelled as she ran out of the hangar. "Follow me!"

A moment later, her comms activated, along with the communication systems of every other Autobot in the vicinity. "Calling all Autobots! Calling all Autobots! This is your leader, Optimus Prime. The humans have betrayed us."