Chapter 35: 'Cons Broke the Wifi

It wasn't long after Predaking went off to avenge his brethren that Optimus and his crew found their way to the flight deck, where Verdant then prompted opened a groundbridge beneath their pedes and tossed them into the base sideways.

"Whoops," she giggled. "I'm kidding, that was definitely on purpose."

"Are you taking the Nemesis down?" Optimus questioned, ignoring her remark and standing up.

Verdant switched the monitor to show a feed of the Nemesis falling out of the sky, aimed for the Atlantic Ocean.

"There are no humans there?" Optimus asked.

"It's an ocean."

"And?"

Verdant rolled her optics and looked at the screen, where the Nemesis was just now hitting the water, multiple vehicons—and maybe that was Starscream—managing to fly off just in time. "Too late to check now."

He glared.

She sunk back. "I'm sure it was empty, Boss Bot, don't worry about it."

Optimus frowned and turned away. "Ratchet, what happened?"

"All that matters is that Shockwave has nearly completed the formula for synthetic energon," Ratchet told them. "The omega lock will have been damaged in the fall, but it's only a m..."

Verdant's helm tilted to the side and she zoned out of whatever Ratchet was saying.

"You're in my systems," Soundwave's voice whispered into her processor. "Allow me to return the favor."

"Oh, scrap," Verdant jumped up and yanked her tentacles out of the computer.

Her optics swerved around before spotting the groundbridge. She pulled her blaster off her hip and repeatedly shot at the tube full of wires connecting it to the mainframe.

That's the worst possible thing Soundwave could screw up if he'd infiltrate their systems.

"Verdant, what's going on?" Optimus demanded.

"Soundwa—"

Something blew up outside.

Verdant's optics widened. "My ship!"

This was very, very not good.

She took off running through the room, trying to get outside. How the frag did Soundwave even manage to get inside her ship!? It wasn't connected to the Autobots' mainframe!

Verdant threw open the door, her team behind her, and gaped at the ship staring right at them. The cameras along the sides gave Soundwave a crystal clear view of everything in sight; that was the least they had to worry about though. There were heat sensors, blasters, and gear galore, some of which Wheeljack had personally advanced.

And he got to use it before her. She couldn't decide whether or be jealous or terrified.

He started firing.

Terrified it is.

"Get down!" Wheeljack tackled her to the ground and fired at the ship.

"Verdant, deactivate the ship!" Ultra Magnus yelled, his own blasters already firing at it.

"I can't do scrap without my transmitter!"

Bulkhead yanked them inside. "Where is the transmitter?"

"Inside the ship!"

Optimus fired up his jetpacks. "Cover me and I will use my machine gun to destroy the engine."

"The engine?" Verdant tried not to whine. "Good idea..."