Chapter 26: Who is the Hostage?

According to her schedule, Verdant was meant to go refuel in the mess hall before returning to her quarters for personal time and recharge; however, she decided there were more important matters to be dealt with.

Like the fact that she joined the Decepticons during an enraged and emotional mental breakdown. What in Primus's name had she been thinking!?

Sure, Ultra Magnus was still the number one mech on her hate list, but that didn't make all Autobots bad too. And it most certainly didn't make the Decepticons any better.

Verdant scoffed, pacing around her berthroom worriedly. All it took was one mech lying to her and Verdant lost her marbles. She did the single most stupid thing she had ever done and joined the Decepticons!

She joined the Decepticons.

What the frag was wrong with her!?

Now would be a wonderful time to surprise everyone and jump off the Nemesis with vital Decepticon intelligence, claiming that it was all a facade so she could infiltrate their enemies. That revelation for Soundwave? She could claim to have known it for years and was only taking advantage of the situation.

But it wasn't. None of this was a lie. And Verdant most certainly didn't want to pretend it was. Soundwave stuck out his neck to help her, to bring her into the fold, and she wouldn't betray his trust, even if he was her enemy.

She didn't know what to do, but she knew that she couldn't stay here. Despite the mess she left behind in the Autobot base, Verdant didn't doubt that they would take her back with open arms. Did she betray them? Yes. Did she work for the enemy? Yes.

Did they still want her?

Yes.

Verdant stopped pacing and pressed her helm against the wall, lubricant pooling in her optics. She slagged this whole situation.

After a moment, she pulled away and headed out the door. Perhaps this was the biggest mistake she'd ever made, but Verdant still needed to correct it. Admittedly, she could easily jump off the Nemesis and ask Ratchet for a groundbridge.

If he didn't answer, maybe she deserved to go splat.

But before any of that could happen, Verdant needed to fix the situation with Soundwave. He didn't deserve for her to just run off after revealing the truth to her and advocating for her trustworthiness.

She wasn't sure where exactly he was, but the bridge was the best place to check. Even Autobots knew Soundwave's work station. The third was just that famous.

Oddly enough, the doors to the bridge weren't guarded, but cracked open. Verdant tilted her helm curiously. Didn't these doors slide automatically? Why were they...

"–hand over all your current predacon bones," Megatron sounded smug. "And we know how many you've managed to take, so don't lose any on the trip here."

She frowned. Which Decepticon was stealing bones?

"Megatron, this is not what we agreed to." Optimus's voice was stratchy and distant, with some static. "We will not continue to gift you if you do not hold up your side of the bargain."

That's not a Decepticon.

Megatron laughed. "Don't be surprised if I never hold up my side of the bargain. Until I am satisfied, the little traitor remains my property."

"You cannot keep this up forever."

"But until that time comes, Optimus, you and your team should hand over all predacon remains. Nor should you step into another excavation."