Chapter 8: Gifts of Disobedience

"Verdant," Ultra Magnus's voice spoke into her comms.

Slowly, her attention was drawn away from the massive collection of data she'd been going through, and she answered.

"Sir?"

"Pull out. Ratchet wants to check your vitals."

Why?

Verdant grumbled in annoyance before onlining and disconnecting her limbs from the computer. Her optics brightened to a bright blue and Verdant looked around before settling on Ratchet.

"Is there something wrong, Ratchet?"

He crossed his arms. "You were in the exact same position when I left for recharge last night that you were in when I got back up. It's been nearly twelve hours since you plugged in to that computer."

Verdant blinked. "And that means...?"

"You shouldn't be working that long! It's not good for your health," he told her.

Realization dawned.

"Oh," Verdant smiled and waved him off. "No, I'm perfectly fine, Ratchet. Our frames are different, as long as I'm not low on energon, I'm perfectly capable of being–"

"Aside from fuel, you need recharge, and stimulation, and movement!" Ratchet exclaimed.

She frowned slightly. "Sifting through data is plenty stimulation and in case you hadn't noticed, I was offline. It's basically recharge."

"Basically," he repeated. "But not. And you didn't address the need for movement. Do you want your body to atrophy?"

"I mean, it isn't like I use it much," Verdant muttered. "Regardless, Ratchet, I know my limits. You don't need to give me a checkup for doing something I was built to do and have been doing since the dawn of the war."

Ratchet glared and started scanning her. "You shouldn't even be using your servo after your arm was blown up. It could stress your circuitry."

Did he hear anything she just said?

Verdant let out a slow sigh to maintain her composure and looked behind him at Ultra Magnus. "Ultra Magnus, sir, would you inform Ratchet about my limits so that I can return to my work."

He frowned. "Ratchet raises valid points."

"Ratchet what?" Verdant gaped before scowling. "Sir, how long have we been working together?"

Ratchet glared at Ultra Magnus. "How long have I been the CMO of the Autobots?"

"Uh," Ultra Magnus looked between the two of them uncomfortably. "Verdant, you will submit to a medical exam just this once, and then Ratchet can be satisfied before you return to your work."

"She's been working for nearly twelve hours!" Ratchet exclaimed. "I'm not just going to let her go back!"

There we go, Verdant thought smugly. She was going to win now.

"Are you questioning my orders, doctor?"

"You better hope I am," Ratchet pointed his digit at Ultra Magnus's face. "Because if I'm questioning you, I'm outright ignoring your orders and putting the safety of my team above your towering shoulderplates."

Verdant stared at Ratchet in shock. "Ratchet! He's your commanding officer!"

Ratchet crossed his arms. "I'd like to see even Optimus tell me what not to do once I've made up my mind."

Ultra Magnus scowled. "You can let Optimus deal with this, then."

Ratchet looked at Verdant as the commander walked away. "If we talk with Optimus, I'll win."