Legacy 4: part 2 (Keefe POV)

Somehow, even his little outburst of frustration that had resulted in a shoe flying across the room didn't seem to alert Foster to the fact that his feelings for her ran deeper than that of good friends.

She blushed at Keefe's mention of her and Fitz's confessions, but that was it.

"That's ten minutes of my life I'll never get back," Ro grumbled. "Though I did enjoy the part where you bailed on Pretty Boy right before all the smooching."

Keefe hadn't been terribly upset at that news, either.

"I didn't bail on him," Foster mumbled. "Silveny went into labor, and we had to go save her and the babies."

"Don't you just hate when that happens?" Ro teased her, the only person in the room who was completely at ease. "And that doesn't explain why you and Swoony Boy still haven't..." Ro made obnoxious kissing noises. "Or have you?"

Keefe froze. He didn't want to know, but also, desperately wanted to know. He stole a quick glance at Foster, who was staring at his carpet. He quickly looked away again too, looking anywhere but at her.

But Foster refused to answer. "I still don't get why any of this means I can't help you with your memories."

Nervous energy began to spill out of Keefe, and he began kicking his bed frame again and again and again.

I hate this.

Because I love you.

Silence stretched on for several seconds before he finally said, "it's just...now that you guys are together, I figured it might be a bad idea for you and me to work on such a time-consuming project—especially since Fitz is obsessed with finding Alvar right now, so he won't want to help."

There. Maybe he could just make it seem like he didn't want to monopolize Foster's time now that she had a boyfriend.

And completely avoid the fact that he was so jealous of Fitz it made him sick to his stomach.

Foster tried to tell him that Fitz wouldn't care about them working on the project without him, so Keefe was forced to tell her that Fitz was already concerned because he hadn't heard from her.

Finding out she'd come to see Keefe when Fitz still hadn't heard from her? That would not go over well.

And Keefe wouldn't blame Fitz for that.

Then Foster started to feel more and more awkward while vaguely telling them she'd been busy with 'personal' things.

Ro, sickeningly, told Foster that she should tell 'Auntie Ro' all about her personal troubles.

And then...assumed it was kissing advice Foster needed.

"See why I didn't want to bring this up?" Keefe asked Foster, torn between amused and mortified. "It's like, just when you think it can't possibly get any worse--it does!"

Foster looked at him, curious now. "You really think Fitz would be bothered by us working together?"

Keefe shrugged. "Seems like he might be."

He certainly had cheered up when Keefe confirmed that he hadn't heard from her all week.

Ro snorted. "Of course he would! He'd be super, super jealous!"

"Don't," Keefe warned her.

But this time, Ro ignored him.

"No--I can't take it anymore!" Ro walked over to Foster, tapping her on the nose. "I repeat: Yes, your Captain Perfectpants would be jealous! He scraped together the courage to get all share-y about his feelings, and now you're ignoring him, and being all mysterious about why, and telling everyone who asks that you're not dating him. And I'm not saying that's a bad call. Trust your instincts! Hopefully they'll lead you out of the oblivion."