Alternate Ending: Stellarlune 42 (take 2)

A/N: A different alternate ending to Stellarlune 42, wherein Sophie and Keefe are interrupted, but not by Flori. Someone requested this ages ago, but I don't remember who!

Sophie's mind flooded with words.

Promises.

Confessions.

But somehow they felt like too much and not enough all at the same time.

So she tilted up on her toes and leaned forward, meeting his eyes as she lined up her lips with his--careful to leave a tiny wisp of space.

A chance for him to change his mind.

Keefe closed the distance between them.

And then...everything was new.

The soft press of his lips against hers.

The way their breath seemed to fall perfectly into sync while her heart and her brain screamed, FINALLY!

Some tiny part of her had always wondered if kissing could really be as great as everyone claimed.

But kissing Keefe was So. Much. Better.

He was the one to finally pull away, leaning back to study her in the shimmering light. "You're okay, right? No regrets?"

She grinned. "Absolutely none."

His relieved smile was the sweetest thing she'd ever seen--but it faded a little as he leaned his forehead against hers. "I don't want to mess this up," he whispered. "Please don't let me mess this up."

"I won't," she promised, tilting her chin up to steal another quick kiss.

But after only a few seconds, someone let out a soft gasp and an incredulous "what?!"

Sophie and Keefe broke apart and looked toward the source of the sound.

And Sophie's heart sank.

Fitz was standing there, looking back and forth between the two of them, his face looking shocked and crestfallen.

Sophie opened her mouth to speak, but found she couldn't think of anything to say. She looked at Keefe, who for once looked like he was also speechless.

"What's going on?" Fitz asked, his tone angry but his face still looking crushed.

Sophie opened her mouth to try again, but Keefe took a step forward, hands raised slightly.

"Im sorry you had to see that," Keefe said quietly. "But I...Sophie and I, we..." he glanced quickly at Sophie, uncertain.

Sophie realized with a jolt that Keefe was afraid to give any name to their relationship, afraid of saying the wrong thing.

Hadn't she made her position clear? She wanted to be with him.

"How long?" Fitz asked. "How long have you two been sneaking around behind my back?"

Of course Fitz would get angry. It was what he did when bad things happened. Keefe had been gone for weeks, obviously nothing had been going on during that time.

But Sophie knew if the roles were reversed, she'd have assumed the worst, too.

"We haven't been," Sophie assured him. "I just recently realized that I liked Keefe. I don't really know exactly when it started. And it turns out he feels the same way, and so...well, that's all we've really discussed so far. I'm so sorry you found out this way. I would have preferred to have been able to tell you."